AR15 Charging Handle and Scope not Getting Along

Swifty Morgan

I finally got myself an AR15. Picked it up today. Boy, were they busy taking phone calls. It may be tough to get a rifle by mid-month.

I picked up a gun with a 16" barrel and M-Lok furniture. I am planning to use it for target shooting and pest control. I figured it was a good entry point that would not break the bank. The shop guy showed me a Vortex Diamondback, and we installed it before I took the gun home.

I'm not an experienced AR15 guy, so I expect to run into some challenges. Here's the first one. The scope's rings are not very high, so it's not all that easy to grip the charging handle. The scope is in the way.

Did we mount the scope wrong? Are there different charging handles for people who have this problem?

Also wondering about the best options for a front sling doodad.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 06 01 20 CORE15 Scount Scope and Charging Handle Area small.jpg
    06 01 20 CORE15 Scount Scope and Charging Handle Area small.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 578
You can get extended charge handles from many places-a couple are-Joe Bobs-Primary Arms-Palmetto State-Midway-Well you get the idea.

If you don't try to grab the charging handle with two fingers, it isn't a problem. Just grab it on the left side with the crook of the left index finger. It will charge just fine that way.

swifty,,,,,,move the scope forward,,,,so the end of the scope is right at the end of the rail,,,i like to have mine right at the end of the charging handle,,,but a little farther forward wont hurt a thing,,then get an over size charging handle,,,,,

these guns dont fit like regular guns do,,,lots of the really good ar shooters will tell you if your nose aint touching the charging handle your doing it wrong,,,,ahahhahaa,,,that is a little close for me but,,,,,choke up,,slide the stock in a notch and move the scope forward and get a good over sized charging handle ,,,,maybe even an ambidextrous (they unlatch from both sides) over sized charging handle if you want to spend the extra money

my .002

ocharry

I appreciate all the help. The world of the AR is pretty strange. Seems like you can pick up just about any other long gun and start shooting, but this thing requires lessons.

Back