AR15 break-in procwdure????

Andygold

I've read that you should break-in a steel barrel, and an aluminum barrel differently(posted somewhere on AR15.com). Only problem is...I cannot find ANY info on the actual breaking in procedure. I just purchased a Bushmaster with a 16" chromed aluminum barrel. Anyone have any info on this? A friend told me you only HAVE TO break in a hunting type barrel, but I figure if it might make a difference to accuracy/longevity why not do it on the AR???!!!???
Thanx,
Andy

It should take you 500-1000 rounds to break it in. More like 1000, at least that's what I've been lead to believe.

Aaahhh...I think the barrel is chrome-lined steel and handguards are aluminum (or plastic). For break-in, I'd clean it, lube it and then fire away in lots of 3 rounds to zero in the sights. I need to do the zeroing part myself. Oh, well, I still have my .303 for real war purposes :)

There is a FAQ on Bushmaster's website conscerning barrel break in. IIRC, it says it's unnecessary.

bkm

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...

Thanx for the correction....you are correct...the barrel is chrome-lined steel...suffering from brain damage...I'll check out the BM website again, did not see this the last time I was there. Thanx again to all!
Andy

Chrome-lined barrels are broken in differently than either stainless or chrome-moly barrels. Basically for a chrome-lined barrel you just shoot it a whole lot without doing any aggressive cleaning of the barrel (no brushes just a couple of patches). The idea is that the bullets polish the chrome and that the chrome is slick/smooth enough that you don't worry about jacket fouling.
Good luck with your new rifle.
B

Back