AR15 auto sear

Hunter Rose

Was thinking of going with an M16 as my first FA, but need some clarification. Is it just the auto sear that is controled, or is it all the different parts of the fire control group (selector, sear, and bolt carrier)? Assuming it's just the sear, is it legal to drop a registered auto sear into any AR series rifle you have, or does the sear need to be registered as being installed in rifle such-and-such?

Assuming doing the "drop-in thing" is legal, how hard is it to find auto sears (and how much will I be looking at spending)?

Transferable auto sears are as expensive as transferrable rifles

Better off buying the rifle

Wildorpray86isrepealedAlaska

Actually, IMHO, a RDIAS is a better deal as it is not married to a receiver. If you trash a receiver you're just out $100. If you trash a Registered Receiver you have to spend big bucks getting it repaired. Remember the only RRs we can buy are about 20 years old. My next NFA will be a RDIAS.

"RDIAS" is "registered drop-in auto sear". Auto sears were not always controlled under the NFA and were legal to own. But they weren't legal to own if you also had an AR-15, and weren't legal to install in an AR-15 unless you registered the gun as a machinegun before installing the sear. But then BATF ruled that the DIAS was in itself a machinegun and had to be registered. Any DIAS's made after that time are serial numbered and registered, and can be transferred only on a Form 4. New registration of both machineguns and DIAS type devices ceased in 1986.

DIAS's made prior to the "machinegun" ruling are still legal to own, on the same basis as before, except that they cannot legally be installed since the base rifle can't be registered as a machinegun.

In other words, unless you can find a registered DIAS, you are SOL for making a machinegun using one.

Worse in a way, as the ruling went into effect, companies turned out a bunch of junk DIAS's, usually cast from soft metal and complete trash. Some of those were registered and are transferrable. But registered does not mean any good. I heard of one fellow who paid the $200 tax and I don't know how much money for a registered DIAS that lasted less than 20 rounds before coming apart. The seller told him TS, and the maker was long out of business.

Jim

Back