AR15 9mm or .45 ACP Conversion Kits

Hairball

Does anyone out there know whos makes these conversion kits?? I saw them awhile back, but now I cant remember where. :)

Thanx in advance for any help!

Olympic Arms used to make a upper kit, also thought Dalphon had something going along this line. LaFrance was also supposed to have a kit. All I've seen from last two tho are complete guns (in firearms magazines).

Dalphon does make conversions (uppers) in 9mm, 40 S&W and .45 Auto. I recently saw a couple of Dalphons at the local gun show, and I was a little bit disappointed in their fit and finish. It was on par with Olympic or less... But I am picky, so maybe I'm making more out of it then it really deserves... :)

I bought my 9mm upper from www.csmetall-werkes.com They use all colt parts and also supply the mag blocks that you will need. The mag blocks do not require drilling your reciever as they use an allen screw that forces the pins out to the sides of the reciever to hold the blocks in place.

One advantage of Dalphon is that no magazine well adaptor is needed. They modify their magazines to fit the well. I think that this is a good idea, so a) no need to pin something to your mag well, and b) no need to worry about any screws working themselves loose...

I check out the companies mentioned above, and I seem to be leaning towards the Dalphon system. Anyone out there ever shoot / own one of these?

And any opions on getting a piston caliber AR15 (most likey .45 ACP) over the standard .223 model would be nice to.

Hairball, Dalphon uses Oly Parts and from what I understand some of his parts are seconds. This is just what I've heard on the AR15.com web site. I to would like to get a .45 upper so I did quite abit of reading on it. Goto the homepage then goto the discussion groups then pistol calibers.
Good luck
Scratch

Hairball,

Although a lot of people might disagree with me, I don't really see the point of an AR shooting a pistol caliber, except for just the fun factor. In my opinion, if you are going to shoot a pistol caliber, shoot a pistol. The pistol rounds do not pick up that much more velocity in a carbine length barrel vs. a full size pistol. I feel that if you are going to be carrying/using an AR and you have to deal with the weight and size of an AR, why not have it in a superior caliber, i.e. .223 vs. any pistol caliber? Just my opinions, of course...

Back