AR10 Saftey Detent

Benchrest1000

Just changed my grip today and noticed that after doing so, the saftey selector works, but does not put up as much resistance. I know that a safety detent (Not the spring) exists in AR15s. I don't know if it does on the AR10 or not. I did not see a detent when I removed the old grip, just the spring. Since the switch still works, is it possible that it could just be something with the new grip? Greater relief or something? Thanks.

A couple of things could be wrong. It could be that the hole on your new grip is deeper putting less force on the spring. More likely, it could be that you pinched the spring where it transitions from the grip to the receiver. This would leave only the small length of spring through the receiver area applying pressure. Either way, this is a situation that needs correcting. A loose safety detent makes the gun unsafe in operation.

Test the allignment of the grip hole with the receiver hole by pressing the grip forward and then up. If it is out of line, you will see the spring kink as it mates with the bottom of the receiver. This can be corrected (assuming your spring is not ruined) by opening up the spring hole a bit in the grip. Always modify the cheaper part. The detent is actually a small, oblong, torpedo shaped part.

Back