AR10 or M1A?

bradleyt

The local shop has both the AR10 (this one happens to be a flat top but they get them pretty regular) and a "loaded" M1A.
Since there's not a whole lot of difference price wise, which way should I go?
Bradleyt

Definitely go with the M1A. I was in the same position as you about a year ago. Everyone I talked to said M1A. Also, my dad had one that functioned flawlessly. The M1A is a classic. Above all else, it is reliable. I've heard that the AR-10 may be more of a tack driver, but I doubt it. I've heard of some feeding problems with the AR-10. I bought an M1A loaded package. It is an awesome gun and, to date is completley reliable (with abou 5-600 rounds through it). The only thing I didn't like about it was the tiny rear aperture (my eyes aren't so good). So I took a 5/64 drill bit and drilled out a bigger hole. Now I get a sight picture that's more like th AR-15...MUCH better for combat purposes. Good luck.

M1A magazines are $35.
To get AR-10 mags, you have to buy a M1A mag and convert it. More money

M1A is a proven battle rifle. AR-10 may be as good or better, but it was not tested in real combat like the M-14 was.

M1A can look a lot like a sprotsman's or hunter's rifle (the kind that will not be banned soon) when you put a 5 round mag in it. It is hard to make an AR type weapon look PC.

M1A For political reasons, the M1A has a flash suppressor and the AR-10 does not.

Someone correct me if I am wrong... You can convert the AR-10 to fire .243 Win or .308 Win.

The M1A is better for me. I would consider those European .308 battle rifles too, but I like having a flash suppressor.

Tell me how much the Loaded M1A is where you are. the shop around here has them for $1590 walnut stock and medium weight stainless barrel.

Go to the web site for Armalite ( www.armalite.com ) and check out the recall on the AR-10 bolts.

When I faced the same question, I bought a Stoner SR-25M by Knight Manufacturing. The additional bucks were well worth it. This thing is a tack driver (3/4 inch @ 200 yds) with Federal Gold Match ammunition.

Also remember that the magazines for the AR-10 will have to be modified by Armalite on a two for one trade-in deal or you can buy the magazine "conversion kits" and have a gunsmith install them in your M1A magazines.

If I had to choose between the two weapons, I'd go with the Springfield. Optics and scope mount will be the next issue.

Good luck with your decision.

DblTap

Back