ar trigger issue

skizzums

hey guys, I just finished a 9mm build and I noticed that when my next round chamber and the hammer cocked, the trigger wouldn't work. it's like its getting hung on the disconnector and not falling to the sear when I release the trigger. not sure if that makes sense, I am not well versed with the trigger mechanism, but I can't figure out what the issue is. I made a little video to show what I am talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NX6_RWZ118

im a little dumbfounded on this one. let me add that this is a self-milled receiver, would that cause any issues if maybe wasn't milled to spec.

thanks for any ideas.....

I've seen a lower cracked at the slot for the bolt stop due to the hammer repeatedly hitting that area. You might want to put your thumb in front of the hammer to catch it when you pull the trigger.

And the hook on your disconnector is too long.

yes, I know the hammer hitting the bolt catch area isn't good, just a few times will be okay.

good theory on the hook being too long. I brought three different lowers with triggers to work with me today. as soon as I get time I am going to swap the triggers around and see if it's an issue with the spec of the parts kit itself or something on my end. I will see if I can get the lpk to work in a factory milled receiver and see if a mil-spec works in my 80%, and go from there. thanks for your responses.

skizzums, The hammer shouldn't hang on the disconnector hook. The hook, and the hammer notch, should have a negative angle, so the hammer will easily slip off, when the trigger is released. If it has a neutral or positive angle, it will stay held in that notch.

okay, it makes sense. I have sent the company a message. I know that LPK's are a new thing to them. i'll swap out with another disconnector and make sure that's the issue.

thanks

okay, I switched out the parts one by one, starting with the disconnect. that did not solve the issue and side by side the disconnects looked identical. so I put the old one back in and switched hammers. that was the problem, standard mil hammer works perfect.

bottom is mil-spec, as you can see, only difference is the little half-moon on the inside, doesn't appear to effect function

hammers are drastically different, I can't pin-point exactly why the "enhanced" hammer doesn't work, but it just doesn't

skizzums,

The RH hammer looks to have a burr on the notch, or sort of a radiused out place. Both look to have a negative angle, but the RH one, looks to have something rough, where the hook catches.

AR15-Ham-Nortch by Will Matney, on Flickr

If that came that way, I'd send it back under warranty. That notch should be flat, until it runs into the radius at the end.

Last edited:
Interesting enough, i put the hammer in the lower with the mil spec LPK and works fine, mil spec hammer works fine with the new LPK. So end result is two properly working lowers. Dont know what the issue was. I emailed the company with the pics and the quickly called me back, great service on their part. I told them all is well atm, and will call if it gives issue in the future.

Thanks for your time Dixie and others. I'll call it resolved for now.

Last edited:
as to what caused the issue in the first place, I have a theory. possibly when I drilled the hole for the hammer pin, I am thinking maybe it was slightly too far back not allowing that specific hammer enough room to disengage the disconnector. and maybe the mil-spec has a little more room for error. I dunno, best I can think of. works now, so I am not going to trouble myself too much about it.

Back