AR stripped recievers still being sold in Cali?

Solarus

Inactive
I'm going to need another reciever when building up a victor arms dedicated 22.
Are stripped lowers still being sold in california? Will the manufactures ship to FFLs in Cali? I'll weld the front take down pin to keep it legal if I have to.

I know a few people that attended the show last weekend that the Cow Palace, and they said there were many dealers selling stripped receivers, and complete guns, sans pistol grip... DOJ also signed off on it saying that as long as no SB23 evil features are included, it is legal...

From what I understand, if you pick up a post ban (sb23) receiver, (like there is a difference, other than the date you aquire the part...) It is illegal to put a pistol grip on the lower.

If you put a pistol grip on it, tried to register it as an AW, you woud probably be one of the first on the list for the SKS style buy back program that Lockyer will no doubt introduce before long... This guy must REALLY like guns, he was buying them up last year, and will probably continue to do the same...

Bet he is getting his inventory in place so that he can begin selling black market, black rifles to the gang bangers! ;)

Solarus,
No offense, but I think you'll get more info in The Art of The Rifle Forum
(rather than in the General Forum).

So I'll ship you over there.

What the heck does a buffer tube have to do with anything...

The link you posted is for a RIMFIRE rifle...

SB23 is specifically aimed at Centerfire Semi Auto's, protruding pistol grips, etc.

As for getting a lower in CA, it wouldn't matter whether you intend to put a centerfire, or rimfire upper on it, the DOJ is going to treat it as an AW. I suppose that means you can put a pistol grip on it, if you have a rimfire upper for it, but put a centerfire upper on it, and you need to ditch the grip...

Buying a complete gun would be slightly different depending on upper.

This lower will only be used to build a dedicated rimfire AR-type rifle. Hence SB23 is not a concern except in affecting the avaliability of stripped lowers. Not being able to accept a buffer tube ensures that the lower cannot be used to build a centerfire rifle.
My centerfire will be converted to a fixed 10rnd magazine by the end of the year and swapping uppers will not be an option. Hence the need for a dedicated lower that only accepts or otherwise be permanenly attached to a 22 upper.
I'll ask mongo if he's manufacturing complete rifles or dedicated lowers as well.
When he starts accepting orders.

[This message has been edited by Solarus (edited February 01, 2000).]

AA claims that since their AR rimfire rifle is a blowback 22lr design it is CA complient.
Since the lower has no buffer tube, the lower is not an AR15 lower.

IF you want a CA complient AR there is going to be a 22WMR AR from AA this year.

its a loophole that the Florida AR "series" language would stop.

dZ

As far as availability or legality of the stripped lower receiver, my understanding is that they are LEGAL and unaffected by SB23. In order to be an assault rifle, aside from the list of Make/Model specific (no "AR-15"'s etc) banned firearms, it must have a detachable mag and at least one other "evil" feature. A stripped lower has no pistol grip, so it is not an assault weapon. Assembly of the receiver with a pistol grip would be illegal, as would assembly in any other configuration that would include the detachable mag and any other "evil" feature; bayo lug, flash hider, collapsable/folding stock, pistol grip, etc. You would not be eligible to assemble it and then register, as it would be "manufacturing" and assault weapon after 1/1/2000. As for the rimfire/centerfire issue, that's something I had not thought much about. I would assume, as long as the lower receiver wasn't stamped with a caliber designation, and you were using a dedicated rimfire upper (as oppesed to a 223-22lr conversion), it would be legally a rimfire rifle, and as such, not affected by SB23. This is my guess, and opinion, and won't mean anything in court, so don't take it for fact. Call DOJ (maybe even the sherifs dept.) and see what they say about it. Good luck.
-John

you can have pistol griip if you don't have detachable mag over 10 rds. just make a detachable mag AR-15 clone and you load the weapon by taking the upper off. then you can have the pistol grip. I'm a genius, someone give me a patent on this idea quick.

Someone has probably already thought about it. but if they haven't I should find a patent lawyer quick. too bad like 4200 registered members will have read this by they time I find a lawyer and someone will have it in production in like a week. but you heard it here frist

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

Just replace the mag catch spring with a solid bushing and put a nut on the end.
You'll need tools(a wrench) to remove the magazine which satisfys the BTAF's definition of a non-detachable magazine. Unfortunately, SB23 lists no definition of a detachable mag, so I'd have to go with the BTAF definition. Not sure how it will hold up in a Cali court though.
Anyway, I rather do this than put on that tumor stock.

need a little more work than that, but I should sell a conversion kit. do you need any special license to make soem sort of converstion kit?

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

Back