AR Scopes

PTGDVC

I am looking for a handle mounted scope. The Trijicon ACOG and the Colt 4X are the current contenders, but I am open to other ideas. This is for a 16" cabine and for use between 25 and 150 meters. Is the standard stock ok for a scope mounted in this position, or will I need an elevated cheek piece?

Go to the ar15.com page. They have several reviews on handle mounted scopes. As long as you use one of the smaller dedicated handle mounted scopes, you wont need to purchase an elevated cheek piece. The cheek piece is for the use of a scope rail with a regular rifle scope that uses rings. This type of setup is much higher in the air than the dedicated AR scopes.

What is the intended use of your setup? For personal defense, the 4x is too powerful for 25-150 meters. I went with the 1.5x16 ACOG TA44. There is a 5 moa dot with a verticle line under it in order to find the dot quickly. I was told to zero in at 300 meters. At 300 meters, the width will be 15 inches, about the width of a man's chest. Anytime you cover more than the chest, he is out of range. Anything under 300 meters and you will hit inside the dot.

I have not had a chance to go out and shoot this setup, but I believe it encourages quick acquisition and range finder in one. And with the 1.5x, close up work is still possible. My setup is with a flattop, so I don't know about your distance above bore line with this scope.

Dale brings up a good point. The overmagnification was a problem cited by some of the Brits who had the old Trilux sight on their SLR (FN-FAL). A lower power sight will give you quicker target acquisition - very important for 25 meter shooting. Unfortunately for Tommy, nobody listened and Tommy's younger brothers' newer L85 rifle still has a 4x optical sight.

Gary and Dale have a good point about magnification. Some other options are the Trijicon ACOG Reflex and the Aimpoint Comp M or Comp ML.

I've got an old 4x32 ACOG. It has the old reticle with the big dot in the center oof the crosshair. This is supposed to make fast target aquisition easy, but I've found the 4x magnification too slow. I've since mounted it on a 20" HBAR Flattop and ordered a Trijicon Reflex for the 16" collapsible stock.

The old SUIT sight Gary referred to has a post that comes down from the top of the sight, but with the 4x magnification it's still pretty slow for close up shots.
Jeff

I'm the first to disavow any real skill with a long gun. (It's become an issue that I'm working hard to overcome).

A couple of months ago, however, Mykl spent about one hour training me before I was consistently hitting steel poppers (24" high?)with both the ACOG Reflex and Aimpoint Comp M at 200 yards. Made me a believer that magnification is overrated when it comes to practical carbine shooting.

The 1.5 power that Dale references also sounds quite practical for general use as it is "hardly" magnified.
Rich

Back