AR Pistol Upper? SBR?

Silentarmy

I found a gentleman selling the 10.5" upper from a Bushy AR pistol in the classifieds. Is is legal to posess such a part by itself if the lower has been sold? I have several AR's in 3 calibers and I am considering this upper for an SBR build. I know it cannot be installed on a lower until the stamped form 1 returns but can it be purchased and stored in the mean time? Any wisdom on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Technically, owning a short upper in conjunction with any non-SBR lowers *could be* construed as constructive posession of an unregistered SBR. That being said, I know for a fact that this very thing happens all the time. Sometimes when you find a great deal on a shorty upper, you just have to jump on it, that's life. If I were going to buy something like that without having any SBR's, I'd probably keep it elsewhere or at least locked up separate from my rifles. It is highly unlikely ATF is going to kick down your door and haul you away for constructive posession. In and of itself, it doesn't comply with the spirit of the law. You intend to get the SBR paperwork done, it just hasn't come through yet. Now, all that being said, I'd get the Form1 in the mail ASAP after you bring home that shorty upper.

Thanks for the advice guys. I was hoping VUPD would chime in as I have always found his posts helpful and educational as well as accurate. Does $300.00 complete with charging handle and bolt/carrier sound like a good deal?

Back