AR Pistol sights....??? Need suggestions.

Rembrandt

Not talking about sights for a short barrel rifle....but am interested in low profile open, electronic, or even laser sights that might work good on an AR Pistol (.223). Something that would be used for short ranges, no more than 150-200 yards. Trying to keep away from bulky electronic sights normally found on SBR's. It will be handheld, not shouldered. Perhaps pistol sights that are used on silhouette handguns? Open to suggestions.

Here's a pic of what I'm working with...

pix771427784.jpg

A red dot or "reflex" sight is going to be a good option. The typical aperture rear sight found on AR rifles is not going to work all that well when held at arm's length. I f the picture is your actual "pistol", you might find a set of the clamp on open sights that will work.
My AR pistol runs an AimPoint and is good to as far as the platform is effective.

I have YHM folding sights on my 7.5" pistol (folding to reduce snagging during transport). The front sight post was replace with a KNS cross-hair post. The giant 'mil-spec' post was just too much for a handgun and extremely short sight radius. Now, the sight picture is essentially concentric ghost rings with a fine crosshair in the middle.

At times, it has also had a Fast Fire III red dot installed (AR-F3 version).

Both work well.
Each has their advantages.

Were I to build another pistol, I'd plan on using just the Fast Fire III.

RockRiver Arms piston operated action. No buffer spring/tube needed. Much cleaner and more compact package.
Didn't know there was such a thing. Thanks.

Edit: After checking it out online I have seen the LAR, briefly, but didn't realize it was made by RRA.

I actually thought it was a polymer AR wanna be type pistol. Sorry, I didn't know it was a quality firearm.

Last edited:
I would opt for any small red dot, but if I had the expendable monies I'd probably throw an RMR or similar sight on it. Throwing on a cheap set of BUIS will also work with your rear sight set to the open aperture. For inexpensive but small red dots, a nod goes to the Fast Fire and Sparc II. If there are pistol style night sights that attach to picatinny somewhere out there in the world, that would be pretty awesome.

I don't have any personal experience with it, but I have been considering a "See All" sight for my 7.62x39 Ar pistol. It doesn't use batteries and appears fairly compact.

Don't go cheap with AR pistols, the shockwave firing them produces will kill
all sorts of cheap items, and some expensive ones, nearby...

Thanks for all the suggestions, picked up an Aimpoint Micro for starters....still mulling over which open sights to go with.

002_zpspeu9on9r.jpg

007_zpsleytybjz.jpg

009_zpsjcj9s6pj.jpg

Back