AR pistol in 9mm

WeedWacker

This is a question that I have been wondering. Right now I have an AR-15. But I would like to get a short barreled AR in 9mm. However, funds are tight and I can't really afford the SBR stamp (at least I don't think I can).

A) Can I buy an AR pistol without getting a stamped SBR receiver?

B) How much does the stamp cost if I supply the receiver?

My ultimate goal is to eventually have a 9mm SBR which would be a very fun plinking toy for my everyone in the family while serving double as a HD carbine/truck gun.

So since I already have one AR-15 lower, albeit coupled with a 16" upper, with a collapsible stock, I can buy an AR pistol and the ATF wouldn't consider me to be having the intent to create an SBR? That is my greatest concern.

Eventually I will have one lower stamped for SBR to make a 9mm SBR. I'm trying to keep it all legal and not lose everything due to a vague/obscure law.

And as far as "truck gun" goes, it's more of a going camping thing not so much as a always-in-the-truck thing.

The whole "Constructive Intent/Possession" thing is very murky, and you will get many opinions on it.

IMO, if you have a pistol SBR with one short upper, and a regular AR rifle with one or more uppers >16", then you are fine.

If you have multiple short uppers, you may be in a little more risky area. IMO you would still be legal, though.

If you had short uppers with no AR receiver that could legally use them, then IMO you are asking for trouble.

IANAL, yadda-yadda

It's the stamp that is $200, I am expecting to spend from 500-700 (500 being in my dreams) low ball for a basic AR pistol, realistically I brace myself for over 1000 for specifically a 9mm.

And as far as being forced to kiss the feet of the ATF in this regard, just make sure it's one SBR upper per pistol lower then and I should be alright.

A pistol marked RRA complete lower is running in the $350-$400 range. (Depending where you are of course) There will be at least one seller at the both of the gunshows in Houston next weekend that have them. If you are in the area and need contact info for the seller, IM or e-mail me.

The short upper alone for a 9mm will run ~ $500 (ballpark, probably a little more) Then you have to have the mag well block and 9mm buffer.

Joat

Hmm....

$200 stamp + $500 9mm upper = $700

$400 pistol lower + $500 9mm upper = $900

If your goal is a 9mm SBR, then it is the cheapest way to go already.

Any new, stripped AR lower may be made into a pistol. There is no ATF requirement that a lower intended to be made into a pistol be marked "pistol".

Last October ATF changed Form 4473 to include the option of "Other" when designating what type of firearm was being transferred. The previous form allowed for "Handgun", "Long Gun" or "Both". ("Other" replaced "Both")

A lower receiver that has not had a stock attached is not yet a long gun. It is also not pistol. It is an "Other" until YOU decide what to build.

AR receiver $100
Oly Arms pistol buffer $32
generic LPK $65

Where are you coming up with $400 for a pistol lower? Oh, I suppose the magwell block is $200. Got it now.

WW just keep in mind that Washington state does not allow SBR. You can do your paperwork, but you will have to keep it out of the state!

Where are you coming up with $400 for a pistol lower? Oh, I suppose the magwell block is $200. Got it now.

If you note the message immediately preceding my previous message, you will see the writer listed a complete pistol lower at $400. However, if you really want to pay $200 for a magwell block, go for it.

As you now have managed to get the pistol cost down to $197, you can now add FFL transfer fee for the lower, taxes on everything and shipping on the parts. Doubt you can keep it to $2.99. Besides, you are the one that wants a SBR 9mm, not a 9mm pistol.

Back