AR Mag Catch Problemh

Monty

Don't know if these are problems or features of the AR-15 design but this is what I am complaining about.

Have a Bushmaster Dissipator Post Ban. The mags do not insert anywhere near easy. Takes a very hard smack to get them in. If I depress the mag release slightly, they go in well. Should I not expect AR mags to insert easily like most semi-auto pistols?

Also the mag catch seems to be catching on the outside of the receiver when fully depressed. I tightened the catch a turn and this helped a little. Tightened two turns and the screw is sticking out of the release, kinda hurts your finger. Was thinking of maybe taking the dremmel and relieving the edges of the catch (not the receiver) to make it a little smoother. What do you think? Thanks for opinions.

[This message has been edited by Monty (edited June 06, 1999).]

Strange, is it difficult to insert a FULL magazine with the bolt locked back? With the bolt to the rear or the magazine empty, it should slide in rather easily.

With the bolt in battery, it should be somewhat difficult to fully seat the magazine in the well (last 1/4 inch anyways).

Also, it would be helpful to know what type of mags you are using. Have you tried different types of mags. ( USGI, Thermold, Oralite, USA, Etc )

Chuck

Mags are mostly Colt 20s and Parson 30s and a couple Bushmaster 10s. Tried it bolt forward, bolt back, upper off completely, mags loaded, unloaded, down loaded. Inserting the mags takes a really firm, hard smack or have to depress the mag release a little. All parts are well lubed (Rem oil with teflon) but not dripping wet. Think I may take the dremmel to the mag catch and see if I can break a few edges. If I screw it up, well then I'll buy new parts which someone suggested could correct the problem. Or if anyone has a better idea, I'm listening.

Go to http://www.ar15.com/ubb/cgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro . They have a Bushmaster forum there and a Bushmaster tech ( His nick is "Bushmaster") answers questions daily. Even though bushmaster only advertises a 1 year warrenty, they will often fix them for free years later. Ask him about your problem and he may have a sure fix for you or will have you send it in for repair, maybe for free. Its worth a try. Even though Bushmaster is backlogged for months on new rifles, they give priorety to repairs.

Chuck

[This message has been edited by chucko (edited June 07, 1999).]

Monty,
Remove your mag catch assembly.
1)Verify the screw shaft is perpendicular to the foot (part that engages the mag). If not, replace that component.

2) If all is squared then the phosphate coating ("parkerizing") on the components may be too thick and causing it to bind at the sides of the receiver. Use either an Arkansas stone or 600-grit sand paper (light oil on both) to:
a) VERY lightly take off some of the surface phosphate finish on the *edges* of the foot (parts that rub the opening in the frame of the receiver). Careful not to expose the metal. Only one or two light passes are necessary.
b) Likewise, very lightly dress the edges of the "button" to ensure it doesn't drag, also.
3) Reassemble components to receiver. If the problem continues, note whether or not the mag-release foot is scoring the side of the magazines. If so, then the foot is out of spec and needs to be reduced (keeping same angles) or replaced (preferably).

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited June 08, 1999).]

Back