AR Lube question

Bennett

I have used a few different lubrications on my guns and have been
told that the troops prefer Mobil 1.
Would someone be kind enough to tell me which product is best.
I have used Mobil 1 in my vehicles for years and believe it is the finest
I just have no idea what specification would be right for the AR.
Your input would be greatly appreciated.

I have used both Mobil1 and various brands of CLP. They both work. I currently use Gunzilla. I don't believe that there is a "best".

"best" is pretty subjective

There are too many environmental variables available to really claim a "best" product. One product may be best for one, and not in another.

After I clean my ARs, I lubricate with light synthetic grease and Mobil-1 before putting them away, the grease an oil stays where I put it and the weapon will be ready for extensive firing for many months without having to touch it again. I will say that an AR15 bolt run wet with Mobil-1 will stay wet for many, many rounds, and be easy to clean at the end.

I have used "all-in-one" products like CLP and similar, but only when the firearm was cleaned and lubed regularly, these sprays and aerosols are convenient and easy to use, I don't really care for them as a mechanical lubricant though.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 20w
Not 10w-20 but 20w.
A little harder to find but a 10w weight is too light and a 30w is too heavy.
I've tried both and with 10w it ran dry and with 30w when the gun got good and hot it seeped all over everything.
20w seems to stay where ya put it and is heavy enough to lube well.

told that the troops prefer Mobil 1.
um not sure which troops those would be.
we pretty much just use CLP. I like MilTech, it smells nice. TW25-B works incredibly well in a dusty environment.

What's best? That's a matter of opinion. There is no clear cut lube that everybody uses. Personally, i use Mobil 1(I'm cheap and it's easy to carry a small container of it in my range bag). Froglube is another very popular one. CLP works great too.

Back