AR failure to feed

REALM

Took my MT6700 out today and experienced some feeding problems. I used Colt, Thermold, and USGI mags. I experienced the problem with all 3 mags. Sometimes it would do fine, and other times not.
Any ideas on what may be causing it?
Thanks

--REALM

How long has it been since you gave the bolt carrier a good clean and lube? AR's need to be oiled well. What kind of ammo are you using? I have the same model with approximately a 1000 rounds through it and the only feed problem (1) I ever had was ammo related.

Pthfndr,
Yep, I'm guessing it's the ammo. I was using the "white box" win. stuff. You think that's it? As far as lubing and stuff goes... today was my first day to shoot it. It took a while to do all that cleaning, but after I finally got done with that, that's when I noticed feeding problems of course since I was no longer shooting one at a time.
Thank you.

--REALM

Realm, Hard to believe it would be the ammo. I shoot the Winchester USA with no problem in my Colt. That is normally good ammo. Unless of course you have a bad lot or your AR just doesn't like it.

Try again after you have cleaned it. A lot of times when guns are shipped they lube them up with a thick grease. This may be the problem. Clean it off and then lubricate it with something like CLP and try again.

Please post your results and let us know what happens.

------------------
Michael K - NRA, MCRGO

You may have done this already, but, clean the chamber with the large brush. A dirty chamber will stop rounds from chambering.

------------------
Yankee Doodle

Well here's what the exact problem is... and I guess it may be the mags, but...
I "cock" the charging handle, and use the bolt release and all that stuff etc. etc. It loads the first round from the mag then fires fine, but when I go for the second shot, either the next bullet didn't load, so it just clicks, or the bolt has stopped just behind the mag and the bullet isn't catching to load.
The mags I were using were Thermolds, Center USGI, and Colt (8 rd.) Might it be the followers? They're the black kind.
Thanks.

--REALM

Could it be that the bolt stop spring is too strong, such that it allows the bolt stop to intercept the bolt? Just a thought.

You can rule out ammo if you try a different brand or have that white box (win) stuff tried in another AR. Try differnt brands of ammo to see if the same thing happens.

Same with the magazines. Try them in a different AR. Also, try somebody else's mag. Load with only two rounds. Chamber the first one and fire it and check if the second round chambers. If it does, try the mag with three rounds.

Cleaning and lubing have already been mentioned. That's about 90% of the problems with most firearms: neglect. Bolt key cleaned with a pipe cleaner soaked with solvent? Check your buffer. If it's one of those new plastic ones Colt seems so fond of, check it for burrs, concentricity and straightness. Also check out the buffer tube and spring.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I typically get FTF's with the first 20-30 rounds through a rifle.

After "shooting in", I can put 500+ rounds without a single hiccup of any kind.

I very meticulously clean everything before I chamber the first round, but DO NOT clean again until I have put about 300 rounds through for the first time... I know that many of you would cringe at this regiment, but it has never let me down.

A rifle (like a car), has a break in period... and like a car also requires oil changes at specific intervals (Ford and Chevy say every 3k, Honda and Toyota say 6k, Saab and Volvo ???). A competition shooter will clean after EVERY round whilst a plinker might clean twice a year whether it needs it or not!

Just my $.02

REALM
Try some different ammo. I have found the Win. white box to be inconsistant. Watch where the brass ejects. My experience with the Winchester was that the empties would fall about 6-7 feet away, and then one would fall about 3 feet away, then the next round would fail to feed. It seems that the "underpowered" rounds would just barely cycle the action. The problem stopped when I switched to another brand.
Walker

REALM: A week ago I was teaching a segment of a class to a group of city officers who had just been issued a batch of Colt A3 Tactical Carbines. Here is the scoop as I have experienced. 1) City bought Winchester USA white box ammo to train with. 2) Most Colts (M4's and A3's) DO NOT digest the above ammo with any predictable degree of reliability. 3) I recommend shooting at least 200 rounds of M855 military ammo through your gun. 4) clean the weapon, and lubricate the carrier with break free, giving special attention to properly cleaning the chamber area. 5) Winchester USA deposits heavy amounts of carbon on the weapon. 6) Try shooting the USA ammo again, and check for reliability. 7) Then buy and use the cheap Federal or Remington UMC ammo for fun.

Sorry for the long dissertation, but we have had horrible experience with Winchester USA ammo. It seems to be loaded very inconsistantly at the factory. I think that the military ammo will speed up the break in process of your weapon. It is loaded to higher than SAAMI spec. pressures, and will perform reliably in all but the "crapiest" weapons. Good luck.

I have found most my Bushmaster's probles were ammo related as well. After a good scrubbing of the chamber and fresh lube all around... I was still getting jams? With all magazines too? There was only One other factor to rule out a serious problem with the gun - Ammo. Tried a few other brands. Found Federal to be a good reliable source. But for working duty... I load up Hornady Red Tipped Vermint rounds.
Moly Coated.

This Reminds me. I Moly coated the Bolt Carrier too - with a Spray on Moly. The gun just feels better now. Moly is good stuff... I have had no jams since. NONE after sparse cleaning and 500 rounds. I think I may have found a winning set up here.
No - That wasnt 500 rounds of Hornady! That would have cost me an arm and a leg! Of the Federal... Ither parts I am considering to Moly:
The triger group.
The Firing Pin - If it will take a Moly Coat...
The outside of the bolt it's self.
The Chamber.
The Bore.
Insides of the Magazines.

Mostly of the internals, the area that I am NOT going to Moly is the Mag Well, Bolt Face and Extractor.

Any concerns or thoughts before I proceed with this? It is a reversable process... Moly can be scrubbed off... It is just a pain in the @ss to do it.

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Question about bolt/carrier assembly:

When I put my bolt back into the bolt carrier and put all my pins and thingies in... then turn the bolt so that it protrudes out as it's suppose to (with the hinge pin directly under the guide), if I press the bolt just a little it turns back with the hinge pin thing not under the guide (same position that you put it to take the pin out)

Is it supposed to do this? It seems like I remember the bolt being solid and wouldn't go back at all when you press it... but I don't really have a clue.
Thanks.

--REALM

Back