AR charging handles for suppressors

TrueBlue711

Does anybody with a suppressor on their AR have a charging handle designed to keep gas out of your face? Do they really help? I saw Griffin Armament makes one and debating about getting it.

I have mutiple suppressed ARs and have used the Gasbuster and BCM charging handles. In my opinion, the old trick of using RTV sealant around the charging handle works best; but since most of the gas is coming out of the ejection port, none of the charging handles are all that helpful. You’ll still have your eyes burn a bit if there isn’t good air flow and if you shoot long enough, you’ll still get a little sooty smear on your face.

Yes, I do. I have a couple of BCM but found the Strike Industries does just as well at a lower cost. I can't quantify the durability differences or compare strength since I haven't damaged or broken either brand. The SI finish is inferior to BCM but this is cosmetic.
Personally, I've not experienced "gas-in-the-face" problems from either.

On one of my uppers I have an AXTS Freedom Bone charging handle (now sold as the Radian Raptor SD). It makes a difference with the initial gas-to-the-face issues, but if you're rapid firing eventually enough gas builds up that it makes its way to your face just like usual. Maybe if I added a second route for the gas it would make a bigger difference, like a forward assist gas vent. But I haven't gotten around to trying one of those.

On all my ARs I use the RTV sealant on the end of the charging handle and that's what makes the biggest difference. It makes the gas tolerable, but it doesn't eliminate it.

" like a forward assist gas vent. "

I put that on the the first dedicated suppressor AR I assembled. Can't say it's better.
Theo and I have vastly different applications for our AR's. I seldom fire more than 1-2 shots in a hunting scenario.

I shoot 6 different AR's suppressed,and shoot LH,I've never had any problems with gas in the face. I do run adjustable gas blocks on all of my guns!

Back