AR buffer tube castlenut torque conflict

I would surmise one of those is wrong. Even though a rifle buffer tube is stout, it is not that stout (about 1/32" thick tubing).

Rifle tubes have a shoulder that tightens against the "tower" of the lower receiver. (Overall length being a critical dimension - and no nut used.)
Carbine tubes are secured only with the castle nut, with overall length being more variable. ... And are intended to have the nut staked; while rifle tubes are only tightened.

Makes plenty of sense from that point of view.

Regardless of standard procedure, I tighten to about ... "there". That's good enough for my tools. No staking. No torque wrenches.
Just my calibrated arm. ;)

Honestly, I've NEVER used a torque wrench on any part of an AR after assembling the first 2 or 3. I have had a couple of castle nuts loosen due to insufficient tightening during assembly but no big deal. Just re-tighten and maybe ding the end plate with a tiny chisel.

And then it goes on to say the max is 90 foot pounds with an explanation when it comes to alignment. Because the gun world has their own meaning for the same thing I will assume the castle nut has slots.

Outside of the gun world when we find slots in a nut it is called a castle nut and the slots are used for a pin to prevent the nut from moving. And then there is 'pre-load', I could say no one would believe how many bearings have been destroyed because the wrench operator had no clue what preload meant.

F. Guffey

Back