AR-7 rifles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezeckial

I'm interested in buying one of these.
I'm thinking of the Henry Repeating Arms model.
So, any experience with these rifles? I'd like info on any manufacturer.

The AR-7 was originally developed by Armalite Div. of Fairchild (whence the "AR" in AR-7 and AR-15) as a survival rifle for aircrews, but was never adopted by any service. It has gone through a couple of manufacturers. Sealed up in the stock they are weather and water proof and yes, they will float, in or out of the stock.

I consider them a novelty and maybe useful in very limited situations. One would not be useful to me since it might float but I wouldn't, as I can't swim.

If you want a usable, reliable semi-auto .22 for normal use, buy a Ruger 10/22, or try to latch onto a good used Remington Nylon 66. For more a more compact waterproof package, (and where legal) simply put a handgun in one of the waterproof food bags advertised on TV. You can even fire the gun through the bag.

Jim

Ezckial

I have one it's about 22 years old and shoots great. I really like it. It is a Charter Arms version after they bought the manufacturing rights from Armalite. I heard there were some problems with the early ones but, I must have got a good one as I cannot ever remember it giving me a problem of any kind. I originally bought it for backpacking. These are some of the neat features:
1 Floats
2 Very easy to assemble and disassemble
3 accuracy is unbelievable
4 100% reliable
I do not know anything about the Henry version. You might try calling them and finding who has done a field-test with it.

------------------
Take Care

I have a Charter version. It's been a good "boat rifle" for fishing in the swamps. Over the years, mine has become a little unreliable feeding because of wear on the reciever where the magazine fits.
Don't have any illusions about this little rifle. IMO..It is only marginally accurate. The quality is best described as "functional". It is not completely weatherproof - the springs, extractor and other parts are steel. It does float well but is very hard to see at night while in the water. A piece of reflector tape around the butt cap works well.
There are .22s on the market in the same price range that are IMHO better rifles (Ruger 10-22 comes to mind).
It's a fun little novelty that can be useful. Oh, by the way, the reason it is my choice to take fishing is because I don't care much if it gets banged around or lost... It's real ugly.

The AR-7 was used as a "sniper" rifle in one of the early James Bond movies (it may have been "From Russia with Love"). Interesting design concept.

I have a Charter Arms version and I play with it sometimes and have been known to carry it in my truck when I don't need a gun. It is butt ugly, accurate enough to hit side of a barn if fired from inside and is reliable enough to be called single shot rifle. I got it about 14 years ago for $20 from a friend who got 6 or 7 of them in a trade. As you can see I love mine and never traded it away so I can will it to someone who I really dislike after I'm gone. In the movie From Russia With Love, Mr. Bond used one to shoot down a helicopter. Yea right.

I own a Marlin Papoose. It's somewhat like the Henry, but much nicer. All stainless with a black synthetic stock. Weighs 3.25 lbs. and fits in a cordura case that floats. Accurate and fun. I use CCI Stingers.

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.

I had one back in the 1970's. I think it was a Charter Arms version (or maybe original Armalite?). Whatever it was, it worked fine and was a lot of fun for a teenager. I used it more than my "real" .22 - for a teenager, it was very cool to be able to put the whole thing into the stock. And it worked reliably and was accurate enough for shooting at ground squirrels.

I've looked at the Henry versions, and, while I like the fact that they have space for an extra magazine (you can leave one in the receiver when you put it into the stock, unlike the originals), I find that I can't get my face down to look comfortably through the peep sight. I think the stock must be fatter (or maybe just my face!). Something is different, because I have a very beat-up old Armalite AR-7 that still fits me fine (I don't think its the same one I had as a teenager - I believe my dad found this one somewhere). I'd check this before you buy the Henry version. I've also seen some that have what appear to be painted stocks - the color chipped off easily. I'd look for one with the color molded-in.

I don't think the AR-7s compare with a 10/22 for solidness and accuracy, but they are much lighter, fun to shoot, impressive to show to non-gun-people, and generally decent and fun guns.

Doug

[This message has been edited by DougB (edited May 16, 2000).]

Does anybody know anything about a AR-7 (Armalite Costa Mesa, CA) with collapsable stock, alum. barrel w/ steel insert? Had to get mags from Armalite bur it shoots OK for a survial type weapon. Can't find any pictures or information and wanted to know what I had and what is worth. Thanks for any help.

dz - Thanks for the information. But this one has a normal looking barrel except a three hole flash suppressor in the last 2 1/2 inches of the barrel. I'm sure the outside is alum. with a steel sleeve - you can see the insert if you remove the barrel and look at the chamber. The barrel is also grooved to accept a slinge swivel. The stock is bar stock approx. 3/8 inch dia. and the butt plate is the bar stock in a "U" shape. None of the stuff looks like add-ons. I've looked at the site you commended but don't see any components that look like the weapon that I have. Weren't these weapons included in military survial kits? I was wondering if it may be an old one of those?

[This message has been edited by JHANKS (edited May 18, 2000).]

Several posts call the AR-7 unreliable. It isn't, the ammo is likely the problem. I purchased a Survival Arms AR-7 and was very displeased with it due to unreliable feeding. However I read Sam Fadala's excellent book on .22's, followed his advice, and tried numerous types of .22 ammo. I discovered that standard vel. ammo solved the problem immediatly. I like the Remington green tag target ammo. I also found that CCI Stingers will work, but I don't like using them in a rifle with an aluminum receiver.

As far as accuracy is concerned always putting the barrel on the action the same way will help. I feel that the AR-7 is entirely adequate for its intended tasks.

Several posts call the AR-7 unreliable. It isn't, the ammo is likely the problem. I purchased a Survival Arms AR-7 and was very displeased with it due to unreliable feeding. However I read Sam Fadala's excellent book on .22's, followed his advice, and tried numerous types of .22 ammo. I discovered that standard vel. ammo solved the problem immediatly. I like the Remington green tag target ammo. I also found that CCI Stingers will work, but I don't like using them in a rifle with an aluminum receiver.

As far as accuracy is concerned always putting the barrel on the action the same way will help. I feel that the AR-7 is entirely adequate for its intended tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back