AR-15 upper assemblies

navdoc

Inactive
My AR-15 is set up as a 24" SS varmint freefloater with a very high powered scope. This setup is incredibly accurate and fun to shoot tight groups and work on long range skills, but some times you just want to unload some milsurp ammo! I obviosly am not going to do this with my precious match barrel and I have seen some fairly inexpensive upper assemblies in the Shotgun News (260 range for shorty upper). Are these junk? Can you do any damage to the lower or bolt by switching around or should I be satisfied with unloading 50 rounders in my fold stock 10\22

I would recomend you call J&T Distributing. It would be worth the wait to buy some quality - Uncontrolled detonation should be avoided - Cheap ain't always better!

I second the seperate bolt. Get some out of tolerance Mil Surplus and grenade the rifle, you are OUT of business - Bolt may be stuck in the upper - Lower may tweak, and if it does you will be really out of action. With the spare bolt, least you might continue for a while? $100 to maintain chamber tolerances is cheap in my mind. Beats the heck outta lookin for blown off body parts in a hurry! (grin)

I did the 24"SS flat top swap for about 8 months before I jumped into a seperate lower for each upper. It was worth it (large hole Colt lower - screwdriver mania!)

HTH - YMMV!

Back