AR-15 Rifle Drills

mickm

Inactive
I spent 12 years in the military in the UK before I left a couple of years back for a new life in the US. That being the case, I spent 95% of my time on a single weapon system, the L85A1/A2. After being in the US for around a year I bought a S&W M&P AR-15 5.56mm. My problem is that although I know how to use the AR15, I need advice on correct, safe and efficient drills... making ready, stoppage drills, making safe, etc. Obviously, I can do all these things but unlike with the L85, I don't feel as comfortable with the AR15. I've seen a few videos on You Tube but I can't find all the things I would like to see and I've had to filter a lot of BS and macho crap.

Anyone want to point me in the right direction...? Any tips and tricks might be useful too. I've already ordered a Magpul BAD lever to switch the bolt release catch to my right hand as I can't seem to find an intuative and controlled way to both pull back and lock the bolt...

Last edited:
For a possible direction on where to look for rifle drills, Viking Tactics is pretty solid. As for getting comfortable with it, I'd recommend finding an Iraq and/or Afghanistan vet and offer to take them shooting. If you were in the St. Louis area, I'd be happy to oblige. :D

I would recommend taking an advanced carbine course. They usually focus quite heavily on manipulation and balancing speed and accuracy.

Magpul Dynamics appears to have some excellent courses, based on reviews and friend's comments.
Paul Howe's CSAT is also excellent.

1. First, welcome to the colonies!

2. BS and macho on Youtube? Say it aint so!!

3. Might look at the various training sights: Gunsite, Front Sight, etc to see if they have a good training video.

4. I have seen training videos for sale on ebay. might look and see if anyone on there offers what you're looking for.

5. Welcome again!!

Jerry Miculek has an excellent dvd on the use of the AR.
So does Matt Burkett.
They're available from midwayusa, brownells, brianenos.com and even amazon.

Jerry Miculek has an excellent dvd on the use of the AR

Holy Poop Batman

I just remembered I got Miculek's AR DVD some time ago, I haven't watched it yet, its still in the rapper.

Well I got something to watch tonight.

Welcome, MikeM...

suggest that you google for your state's rifle&pistol association and see if
they have hi-power clininc for shooting in NRA CPM across the course matches.

Theses will assist in dealing with the AR15 and most the shooters will gladly assist with information, that's factual.

And you will get to kn ow the rifle you have and how to maintain it with minimum on-site back-up.

I have taken a Magpul Dynamics class and was inpressed at the line up of insturctors. Second, all the instructors have been in Special Operations or Overseas Contractors. They teach real world scenarios and teach it in way that the average person can understand. Might want to start off with their video, Art of the Tactical Carbine.

Back