AR-15 question

Define "Tap".

If you "Tap" an AR hard enough on it's but this will cause the bolt to retract enough to let the bolt catch disengage.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Yeah - a little jarring will do that. Thats normal.
In basic training when we where turning the weapon over to the Armorer at the end of the day, we had to hand it in with the bolt open.
If you wanted to "Get" the guy in front of you - just before he handed it over - you tapped his butstock... After he got back up of fthe ground from getting thrown down by the Armourer, the Quartermaster, and every Drill in the area - :D you done Got him good!

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

the follower in your magazine pushes on the bolt catch when the mag is empty
the bolt catch pivots up on the roll pin preventing the bolt from coming forward
(you do this manually by pressing on the bottom tab of the bolt catch)
the only thing holding the bolt catch in an "up" postion (once the mag is removed)is pressure from the bolt via the buffer spring.
the catch itself is spring loaded to NOT hold the bolt open
so...when you tap the butt, the bolt carrier slides back into the buffer tube , the catch springs down , and the bolt goes home
this is also a good reason NOT to stick your finger in an ar15 chamber.

Whewww...thanks. I finally get my shorty to shoot and function perfectly(wish I could say the same about myself)...it broke my heart to think it would need to be overhauled
Oh and by the way my mini 30 bit me good once and I learned my lesson quick. Thanks again guys. Tony

Like G. Hill just said, exactly. I used to be an armorer myself, and that was one thing that would make me fly off the handle damn quick if that weapon was not handed back to me through the cage in my arms room with the bolt locked back, muzzle pointed toward the soldier handing it back to me.

We also used to slam the butts of our M-14's down to slam the bolts forward on them, when I was in the Old Guard. It was okay until I became an armorer, then it pissed me off, because I had to replace countless buttplates, because guys were slamming them down hard outside on the parking lots outside the barracks during/before/after (take your pick) parade practice. Problem was, those things cost us $38 bucks a piece (Gov't cost, mind you), thru our supply system (I'm not joking, I'm dead serious)!
This came out of my overall budget for parts, spares, etc. Stocks also tended to get worn out a lot too. Anyway....

Back