AR-15 Question

Anthony

Hello List,

I have a preban Colt AR-15 Sporter Carbine with an ARMS carry handle scope mount with an Aimpoint 5000 mounted to it. As the rifle is capable of minute of angle groups at 100 yards, I've been thinking about putting a Harris bipod and Leupold scope on it.

To get around the problem of closer range shots, I thought about buying the new Leupold LPS series 1.5-6x variable power scope.

By keeping the scope on the low 1.5x setting it would seem to me that quick "snap shots" at close quarters targets would not be a problem. The higher power would come in handy for target identification at longer ranges.

As I am somewhat new to rifles, I would like some experienced input.

Are my assumptions about the Leupold scope correct?

How far is the effective range of the .223 Remington using match hollowpoints?

Thanks for the input.

- Anthony

Max Effective Range: 500 Meters.

Go with the Harris Bipod for sure. The Scope however, I would reconsider. Any SCOPE that brings the object closer - is slower than your Aimpoint. Variable power/see through rings or what not dont help much.

Trijicon makes a 4X scope (I think its 4X)that has "Iron Sights" on the top... This is probably the best compromise I have seen.

I am considering going to an Aim Point myself, since I found I am not shooting at longer ranges anymore. Out in the country it was required - in the city... Well... Depends on how disgruntled I get, and weather or not I want to hike up to the roof.

That was a joke people!
No! Dont Flam... OUCH!
the pain!

:)
------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

[This message has been edited by Kodiac (edited May 28, 1999).]

Kodiac,
Even from the Bell tower at school, I didn't need a scope. People are huge compared to the x ring. Although it would have been nice to know who I got

I'd seriously reconsider putting a scope on it, especially if you already have a red dot sight. At close quarter, the scope will narrow your field of view, which is something you should avoid. How about using your iron sights instead, that is, if your ARMS is a see-through job.

Back