AR-15 problem

Jpr99

Inactive
Okay guys, I just got this Ruger Ar-556 yesterday and just noticed this. Can anyone diagnose this problem and the seriousness of it? You can see the crush washer seems to be off center but I'm not sure at all what the problem is. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 174
I would replace it and center it. For a few pennies, it's not worth playing with it. I have a box of them left over (they come with a lot of brakes but I do not use them).

It shouldn't be like that- that appears to be a recessed target (not a flat) crown- and assuming that's the case the washer taper should have mol accurately self-centered.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were an accuracy issue due to the gases being forced off-center (due to the crown now being off-center by being partially obstructed) behind the bullet and pushing the base off to one side.

I can't tell for sure- but it appears that the uneven torque is forcing the brake a tiny bit out of concentric with the bore as well- which is another problem if that's indeed the case. Threads, by design (even class 3) have "play"- and brakes need to be torqued perfectly square to the barrel shoulder.

I would fix it. I remember a .223 coming through the side of a "Birdcage" flash suppressor I saw once. A 9 MM bullet tumbling out of a suppressor that was not tightened on the barrel squarely. Weird stuff happens if that bullet clips something.

I would remove the muzzle brake and check the threaded part of the barrel and bore to make sure they are concentric.

"I would send it back to Ruger since it is new. Monking on it yourself may void it's warranty."

That's not NEW. Ruger doesn't install muzzle devices with Vise Grips. Looks like some dufus used a 5/8x24 crush washer on a 1/2x28 muzzle thread.

Back