AR 15 Pistol NFA Thread

Sorry. I'm a member there, too. It let me in.

It is a post about putting a crutch tip on the end of the pistol buffer tube. Not really a "butt stock", but as I said, a gray area.

It is a post about putting a crutch tip on the end of the pistol buffer tube. Not really a "butt stock", but as I said, a gray area.

If you contact BATFE about the matter... it will no longer be a grey area. I contacted them about an endcap from a paintball gun (you know... the ones that you push onto the end of your Co2 tank), and was told it would technically make it a butt stock, and therefore, would be illegal.

Well, it wasn't as "gray" for me as the one who started the post, but he should know.

It is still an interesting link. About 8 pages. You ought to sign on and read the whole thing if you can.

Not arguing semantics, but the paintball buttcaps look like buttcaps/stocks and were designed as buttstocks for the CO2 tanks. I'd probably make the same ruling.

I wonder how Bushmaster has gotten away with the neoprene/foam-type sleeve on the buffer tube of their new AR-type 9mm pistol?

Last edited:
I was reading an article in the new American Handgunner Annual. Ayoob was testing the Rock River 9mm AR. They used the (extremely short) buffer tube as is for a stock. the only comfortable way they could hold it. But he said it was like getting poked in the shoulder with a Kubotan with every shot.:D

Csspecs said:
By having a .223 pistol avalible does this cause all .223 to become handgun ammo as well?
I'd also like to know this, because if you're 18-20, you can purchase rifle ammo but no handgun. I guess it is the same with 22LR, but I don't know that either.

Back