AR-15 PISTOL CAL. UPPERS?

KML

I have 2 ar-15's now 1 20"hbar + 1 16"hbar,both in .223.I am waiting on a new lower from bushmaster and was thinking of a .45 or 10mm upper,but only if i can get high cap mags.A few years ago i saw a ad for a .45 that used 30 rd thompson mags.Is there a upper out there that is good or should i just get another .223 upper?

I have only seen uppers in 9mm. Have not seen .45 or 10mm, doesn't mean they don't exist, just I have not heard of them. Go over to ar15.com and ask over there. They are people who have forgotten more about AR15's than I will ever know.

Artech, are you out there?

Sure! There are several outfits that make pistol caliber uppers for AR's, Olympic, Hesse, and Colt makes the 9mm rifle, of course. IIRC, Oly makes kits in 9mm, 40S&W, 45, and maybe 10, I can't remember. Hesse does one in .50 AE that's supposed to be a cannon! Actually, both of these companies do advertise on www.AR15.com and there are links there direct to them. You will want to inquire about mags, as that will be the problem since the high caps have been out of production for five years now. Be advised that delivery will probably take a while as most AR manufacturers are really backed up because of recent demmand. You might not have it by christmas even if you order now, but the company can tell you for sure. Hope this helps.

------------------
With my shield or on it...

Dalphon is the other maker of pistol caliber uppers. Haven't seen one or shot one so I can't comment on their quality.

Concerning Olympic Arms pistol caliber uppers, the advantage of theirs is that you don't have to have a dedicated lower (like in the Colt). Slap the upper onto any of your ARs and you're ready to go (especially if you use the modified magazines which don't need a mag well filler like Colt does).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Clark Custom is also offering an upper in .460 Rowland now. I think you will find that you can get an Upper for just about any calibre you want if you search hard enough and offer enough $$$$.

The owner of "The Goodlettsville(SP?) Gun shop" in Goodlettsville, TN has a source for Pistol Calibre ARs that will accept Glock Mags, including the stick mags. I don;t remember the source, but You might try calling information and getting in touch with the shop.

Back