AR-15 mounted with shotgun legal?

tiger

I saw mounts for an Ar-15 with a Mossberg 500 shotgun as seen in the movie "Predator". Does anyone have this done to their rifle?

Now is this legal to do? and would the kick from the shotgun mess up the AR at all as in scratching the finish or damaging the rifle.

I have the pics of this being done ask and I will email'em to you.

As long as you conform to all legality requirements, you're okay. That is barrel lengths, oal, etc. Would make for a cumbersome weapon as the shotgun barrel would stick out a ways beyond the AR barrel.

I know Knights Armaments offers a short barreled underballel shotgun option for their Modulal Weapons System. But that shotgun is way shorter than legal standard and it was an 870, not a Mossberg. If you keep to the required legal lengths, there is no law that says you can't combine the two weapons. But, geeze! Holy weight and bulk!

Why not pay the $200 tax (you have to anyway for a SBS) and buy an M203 40mm and shoot buckshot or flechettes? The Mossberge idea would be cheaper as the last time I looked an 40mm was about $600, but man would it be cool!

LAter
DAren

Why stop with a single shot 40mm when you can have a belt fed one? A couple of Willy Peters will teach any critter from trying to run; and you won't even have to skin it afterwards. ;)

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Small dose of reality here....

An AR runs maybeso 7lbs, a shotgun of minumum legal length,say a Mossberg 500 with its alloy frame, maybe 6. Add maybe 2 lbs of ammo.

Any of y'all ever use a 15 lb weapon in a firefight? You may recall one reason the govt moved away from the excellent M-14 was that at 9 1/2 lbs,many soldiers found it too heavy.

The 37mm launcher thats fits on the ar15 has an adptor that looks like a 37mm object and fits a 12 gauge round. thats the close thing i have seen. I also wanted one but live in CA.
Nice thing is I am going to the shot show in JAN in Las vegas and buy tons of Goodies for my slef!!!! :D :)

[This message has been edited by house (edited December 05, 1999).]

For information on these kinds of questions regarding 40mm and 37mm loads and uses check out -

40mm.simplenet.com

lots off cool goodies there

-=Hairball=-

To bad we dont have any veteran BAR shooters here or they could tell you about weight. They seemed to work very well in WWII. With the 1918a2 about 19.4 lbs. And the lightest original ones weighting about 16lbs. Would have saved a lot of guys if they had been used in Korea.

Actually, the BAR was used in Korea. Unfortunately, many of the issued BARs had been refurbished by armories in Japan, and these particular weapons failed to work reliably in the bitter cold winter of 1950. The official explanation was that the Japanese armorers were poorly trained and supervised; however, some believed it to be an act of revenge and sabotage.

Back