AR 15 Legal Barrel Length???

Joey

With a post ban AR 15 what is the requirements for barrel length and overal length. I have a friend who was wondering if it would be legal to go with a short 10- 10 1/2 inch barrel. It seems like I rember that the barrel must be 16 inches minummum but was wondering if he could get a flash suppresor or muzzle brake attached to the barrel and thus be legal.

Barrel length on a rifle must be at least 16". He could go with a 10.5" barrel with a 5.5" muzzle break permanently attached for a post ban AR. Overall length must be a minimum of 26", although it might be longer in some states. Hope that helps.

--------------
"When the Second Amendment is lost the second revolution begins."

Time out. First off, I thought muzzle brakes were verboten on post-ban ARs. Second, for PRE-ban, I have heard (not confirmed-if you know, please help) that the 11.5" bbl with the 4.5" brake has been redefined as legal now (no longer class III). When I bought mine, however, you had to have the 5.5 brake on the 11.5 bbl, sorta like the ATF can't even add. I confirmed that in several areas, including Bushmaster, since I both CAN add and wanted the same configuration I carried in 'Nam (minus select-fire, who needs the hassle). I was allowed to have one there, why can't I have one here? I mainly want to hang it over the mantle anyhow, other uppers are more fun to shoot.

Larry P.

Muzzle break and flash suppressor are not the same thing. As long as "the thing on the end of the barrel" doesnt reduce the flash its legal for post-ban ARs. I dont know 11.5" barrel with 4.5" break or suppressor, sorry.

Hi guys,
Big Pig was correct in his answers, 16"barrel is the length minimum. Muzzle breaks are "good", flash hiders are "bad". Muzzle breaks can be used on post ARs so long as the muzzle is not threaded (slipfit with setscrews), or if the muzzle is threaded then it must also be permenantly attached by pinning and welding. If the barrel of a post ban rifle is less than 16" a break can be permenantly attached and is then considered part of the barrel to get the total length over the minimum. Larry, I think that everybody is probably just trying to cover their a** and make sure they are over 16.
HTH
bergie

Back