AR-15 kits

Bob Locke

Wasn't a big fan of this rifle, until I shot my buddy's at the range on Tuesday. Now, I want one some kind of bad!

I understand that quite a bit of money can be saved by building your own, and would like to hear from anyone out there who has done so.

I would also like to hear from anyone who knows a good source of "kits" that can be ordered so that I can do this myself as I am of the opinion that this will make me much more familiar with the rifle.

Thank you in advance for your help.

If you buy parts kits from the second tier vendors, you can save a good bit of money. However, you are buying surplus parts, some of which can be out of spec. Even the reputable parts dealers like Model 1 sales can have substandard parts/assemblies slip through. When you are done, you'll have a mongrel that will be worth just about what you paid for the parts and no more.

If you buy a kit from someone like Bushmaster, you'll have the pleasure of assembling your own rifle (the hard part, the upper receiver, is already done at the factory) and you'll know how it works. However, you won't save a lot of money. The upside is that you'll save *a little* money, your rifle won't be a "parts gun" and will be worth about what a new Bushmaster rifle is worth assuming you didn't total screw up the assembly.

If you just want to know how your rifle works, buy a good, complete, Bushmaster or Armalite then tear it down. Its simple to do if you have a few inexpensive tools. If you want to get into rebarreling it, or match conditioning it, you'll need more specialized, more expensive, parts and tools. Whatever you do, buy a copy of the Army technical manual.

Bob,
I highly recommend you stopping by www.ar15.com and read up on the rifle there. Their discussion forum is also top-notch. I began my start by reading the ar15.com page.
You can't go wrong with building a rifle from Bushmaster. They are one of the best out there. Everything is mil-spec. I think the kits are on backorder though. You are gonna have to call the up.
I'm 110% satisfied with my Bushy.

[This message has been edited by Spirex288 (edited January 07, 2000).]

Okay, at the risk of sounding like an employee or something, I'll say it again. BUSHMASTER. There parts are top quality mil-spec parts built by folks who know what there doing. They offer complete kits, less the lower reciever, and the prices are great. They aren't the 'CHEAPEST' I've seen, but they are an outstanding value for top quality parts that will last. They also offer a video for a few bucks that shows, in great detail, how to put it together the right way. If you haven't done it before, get the video. It's an excellent learning tool. They also offer a bunch of 'upgrades' that are available when you buy your kit such as free floated, match, and fluted barrels, removable carry handle, etc. You can check them out at www.bushmaster.com and while you're there, request a free catalog - it's great for getting rid of all that pesky extra cash laying around :D Man, they really should just start paying me....
-John

I'm starting to add this up, and am coming to the conclusion that I may just buy one already assembled as the "savings" isn't what I thought it would be.

Then again, on my limited budget it may be necessary for me to buy it pieces at a time and then put it all together.

Man, I HATE being broke!

Bob

thats what I'm doing, the upfront cost of a complete was to high for me to get my 3rd AR before the SB23 ban kicked, in, so I got me a stripped lower.
I paid $50+$3 shipping for a dpms parts kit and now I'm trying to figure out what kind of upper i want. so far, I'm in $260 at the end of the year here in cali, bushmaster shorties were going fro 899, and I know that even a complete upper won't cost me $600. So I know I saved a bit

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

I'm building a post ban PWA ($120)lower and I'll probably go with a Bushmaster kit ($585) total cost: $695 + DROS, transfer fee.

Back