AR-15 configeration

Bushwhacker

I have been thinking of buying a AR-15 and Would like everyones input as to what configeration I should get in as far as to what brand , what bbl lentgh and so on.

I'll be using it for self -defence, target shooting ( a little of everything )

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

When you say "target shooting" what do you mean? If, as I hope, you are indicating that you will shoot the rifle in competitive high power then there are several choices:

1. The Service Rifle, and if so then you will need a "DCM" (now actually known as the CMP) legal service rifle. Information is available at the CMP and NRA pages.

2. The NRA match rifle (often referred to as a "space gun". See the NRA pages.

3. A rifle for IPSC or other practical competition. See the governing body.

4. For "plinking at paper" you can buy what ever your heart desires. What standard do you want to shoot to? Sub MOA, Two MOA?

The term target shooting means different things to different people. Personally when I hear it I think about CMP/NRA high power competition. Those are limited to iron sights. A good DCM (CMP) legal service rifle with NM sights, a heavy 1 in 8 to 1 in 7 barrel of match grade quality, and a decent trigger can be had for 1000 or so.

This is the best way in my estimation to really learn to shoot. There are other means, and other games. I am subject to my prejudices, but nothing I ever shot with a scope pleased me as much as my 99-4 with the black rifle at Fort Meade last fall in 200 rapid. That is the way I wish to shoot, and it is the way I will shoot at all ranges eventually.

Come on out and join us.

------------------
Ni ellegimit carborundum esse!

Yours In Marksmanship

michael

Flyer,

Edmund and I wieghed in rather heavily on the descriptions of our "perfect" ARs, though they would be different from an Appropriate CMP gun, I stand by that description for a genreal purpose AR.

I think it was in the "Favorite RBD..." Thread started by Edmund.

------------------
-Essayons

All around AR rifle? Buy a DPMS free floating handguard which looks just like the standard issue one found on the AR/M16 (probably the most important thing you can do to an AR if you're into target shooting). Work on the trigger or get a new target trigger(cost $150). A narrower front sight blade and, if you've got the money, a match rear sight along with a smaller aperture. Outwardly, these modifications won't alter the appearance and the gun will still appear factory issue.

Okay Rob, I read Edmund 's post on RBD rifle and Thanks for pointining me in the right direction But why a 16 in. bbl and not a 20 or 26 the collapsable stock goes on with out a question have always preferred them (still trying to find one for my mini-14)BTW what is a "chalker rig"?
Michael, Target shooting to me is shooting apaper target or just going out to the woods and just having fun shooting waffers, whatever there happens to be around (Safety First!)
Gary when you mentioned the trigger what about a adjustable one?

Whats the difference between a post-ban and a pre-ban?

------------------

Okay,

Pre-ban vs. Post ban:
Post ban can't have more than 2 "evil features". ARs are at their limit the a protruding Pistol Grip and a Detachable mag, soo... No Flash hider, Collapsible stocks, bayonet lugs, etc..

I get all the accuaracy I need (hitting business cards or called facial parts shots on an anotomical target at 75-100 yards is good enough for me, that means shooting inside 1-2 inch zones) with a 16 inch lightwieght barrel with iron sights. I'm no super hero and my gun is stock, so I figure: why not get the lightest, shortest barrel that'll do the job. (edit--) I should admit thought, that my "regular" everyday shooter AR has a 16 in Heavy barrel

A "Chalker Rig" is better described by HH over in the CQC forum. It is a harness that is worn by the operator with clip on the center of the chest. That clip is attached to a small loop that is around the stock (near the PG). It allows ambidextrous use, low or shoulder fire, the weapon can let go of and it will still remain securely attached to the harness, which will not slide off your shoulder and cannot be used to choke you.
The rig could be owrn by LEOs under their shirt but over their vest and clip slipped out between the buttons for attchemtn to a shotgun/carbine. That long arm itself might be more accesible to the officer as their is no chance of a sling getting tangled up on the rack or something else in the patrol car.

I saw Harry demoing the rig at SOF Expo and thought it looked interesting, since then I made a homemade version and have played with it and thought about it and really think it is a great system. I was planning on buying a couple of the rigs at SHOT, but I understand now that GSGI will not be presetn, so I will have to Mail order (yech!) them...

Be sure to ask Harry for a better description of the rig.

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 01-11-99).]

There's several triggers out there which are good. JP Enterprises makes a good match trigger as does Derrick Martin's Accuracy Speaks. Milazzo-Krieger seems to be the best and those used by the AMTU have gone past 20k rounds and are still going strong. Expect to wait 6 months and spend $200 on that one. There are others out there.

I'll agree with Rob on 16" barrels. They're handier and better for self-defense (CQB) than a 20". I'd go with heavy though. A 16" will serve you well out to 400 (and more if you're into handloading). 24-26" barrels are great for target shooting, but are long.

Rob is right about post-ban restrictions (which sure makes this a safer, kindler and gentler society). Don't think a fixed stock is a disadvantage FlyerM14. Sure it's longer, but it's steadier and with a 16" with no flash suppressor, it's about the same length as a 20" gun with collaspable stock.

Flyerm14 - Gary, Rob and the other folks here have great experience to share with you. I've recently been in your shoes (as a neophyte), so I'll relate my best sources of info for the same decision.

This forum is my favorite, by far. However, also visit the following:

http://www.ar15.com/ - this is an excellent source of information. Don't miss the AR forum they have there. It is an entire forum dedicated to AR's, with areas devoted to the different manufacturers, components, tactics (oops - hey there Kodiac ;) ) and so on. They also have a discussion on the 'perfect' AR, all the magazines available, ammo, and on and on. Also, links to the manufacturers - check them out.

http://personal.cfw.com/~hayslett/guns.htm - AR information and links.

http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/2494/ - AR-15 / M-16 links

AR15.Com also takes polls (unscientific, although I doubt there are many people staying up nights working to distort them), and they give you some idea of what others like and don't like. Colt and Bushmaster seem to garner the most respect, albeit at a higher price.

The advice I received was that Bushmaster was producing some of the highest quality rifles at this time - supposedly Colt had declined in quality. YMMV. Building your own seems also to be a popular option.

Good luck. Adios.

Thanks to all, I've learned alot from this forum and sure that I'll learn alot more But again thanks.

------------------

Check out this month's American Rifleman for a T&E of DPMS match quality AR. It's got the features I was recommending at what I think is Colt's price ($1100). Freefloated barrel, match sights plus smaller aperture, and JP trigger.

As long as we are touting our favorites here:

http://www.armalite.com/

My Armalite shoots very well, thank you! ;)

Oh BTW my good friend John Gangl at JP Enterprises builds both excellent rifles and excellent triggers!

his website is http://jpar15.com/index2.htm
------------------
Ni ellegimit carborundum esse!

Yours In Marksmanship

michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Carlin (edited 01-13-99).]

I saw an Armalite .223 20" flat top Post ban today for $800. Thought that was pretty competitive. The Armalite rifles I've examined have all been great specimens.

------------------
-Essayons

I've got an Olympic Arms AR-15 with the eleven inch barrel with fixed 5 inch flash hider( to get to legal 16" barrel) and collapsible stock. I picked it up back in '91 for $575. It shoots just fine, but I'll never shoot without hearing protection again. George Bush betrayed us! Instead of crime control, we got high prices...

Join the NRA!!!

I prefer the 16 inch heavy barrel.
Handle or flat top? That depends on the type of shooter you are.
I had the birdcage flash suppressor, bayonet lug, 4 position stock and all that... but after I left the LE field - I had the lug's nubs ground off and the suppressor replaced by one that looks like the original bird cage, but the holes dont go all the way through. Looks good and its ATF approved. Had the stock replaced by a fixed version that is 2 inches longer than milspec. This gives me a better fit. I actually hated the adjusting thing - too short at its longest and felt too flimsy. Could never butt-stroke anybody with it for fear of breaking it.
I am wanting to get the PSG1 grip for it, and a Harris Bi-pod... if not the pod, then maybe one day I will try Bushamster's 37MM M-2037 "flare launcher" :) At the last gun show I went to there was a table full of neat 37MM "exotic" loads. Like shotgun rounds and fletchets and "BirdBombs" and... etc.

Thats the cool thing about ARs... customizing it like an LA Lowrider - brings out the kid in you!

------------------
Kodiac
Kenetic Defense Institute
"Sir Heckler"

Back