AR-15 combat scopes

cborden

Inactive
I'm looking at scoping my CAR-15 and was looking at mounting a Swarovski 1.5 Cobra (as seen on an AUG) scope, when I heard that Trijicon is coming out with a ACOG compact in 1.5X24 in an extended eye relief format. Anyone have any experience with the new model ACOG, ACOGs in general as compared to the Swarovski Cobra? Reliability, toughness etc.
Thanks,
Chris

[This message has been edited by cborden (edited May 04, 1999).]

Chris,
I've got an old (sn 818) Trijicon 4x32 ACOG. I bought it new in 1989. I love it. The tritium reticle still glows brightly after 10 years. The scope itself is almost indestructable. Mine has seen some pretty rough use. The only complaint I've got is the lack of lens covers. I didn't know about the compact you mentioned. If it's like it's big brother I'll probably buy one.

I have found the 4x magnification to be too much for fast short range shooting. Mine has the original reticle that has the large dot in the enter of the crosshairs. This was supposed to aid in short range target engagement, but I've found it's not really any faster. I've now got an Aimpoint Comp ML on the 16" carbine and have moved the 4x32 ACOG to a 20" flattop HBAR.
Jeff

Cborden,

I've used the ACOG TA01 on a pair of Bushmaster XM15E2S with excellent results. A rear eyepiece (ala the NVDs) is available for the rear lens, from a scientific instrument supply house (listed on card with new ACOG). I use a .45 patch over the objective lens when it is stored upright in the hovel, to prevent dust accumulation on it. If there is a requirement to keep it clean in a dusty field environment, consider using a rubberband and saran wrap or a dry condom. I'm not aware of any Mfgr that makes a front cover for this design ACOG, due to the cone and bias cut of the bell.

For those of you that did not receive the eyepiece and scope cover info with your ACOG, the following is provided to facilitate procurement:

(for rear lens eye piece like night-scopes)
Edmund Scientific Co.
101 East Gloucester Pike
Barrington, NJ 08007-1380
Cust Svc: 609-573-6260
Orders: 609-573-6250/547-3488
FAX : 609-573-6295
PN: E60.100 - Rubber Eye Guard

(for regular Butler Creek scope cap covers)
PN: 19501; size: small; 4x32 & 3.5x35 rear lens
PN: 19503; size: large; 3.5x35 ONLY (N/A 4x32 for reasons above)

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited May 13, 1999).]

Hi Everyone,

I've been pondering the same question on my CAR-15. Currently I have an Aimpoint 5000 on an ARMS carry handle mount. This arrangement has worked well for several years, but sometimes some additional magnification would be nice for those longer shots.

Does anyone have any experience with the Colt factory 4x scopes (three types) that are designed to mount directly onto the carry handle?

CFI shows three different versions and all are priced in the $200 to $300 range. I believe the two higher versions feature things like lighted recitles and bullet drop compensators knobs...I think...

Can anyone help? If they are good scopes, which version would you recommend?

Thanks.

- Anthony

Anthony,

I have one of the older Colt 4x w/BDC scopes on a old pre-ban HBAR that I used in DCM (now CMP) Service Rifle Competition. It is a good reliable scope with standard cross-hairs. I've also used the much older Colt 3x scope on a Colt SP1. I found the reticle wires on the 3x to be way too thick for any but gross alignment of the bullet path. I've been told (have not independently confirmed) that Colt's new scopes are now sub-contracted to a foreign optics firm, so I can't attest to their quality control, and I doubt that Colt would bother to do so with an accessory item.

If other's have additional info on the new Colt scopes, please address this thread with it.

Mykl

Back