AR-15 cleaning methods

rock_jock

Another question on my AR-15. As a newbie, I'll probably have a lot of them in the near future. I hope you guys don't get tired of me asking.

Anyway, the question is, the Marine Corps and Army manuals make reference to "CLP", which I interpret as an all-in-one cleaning and lubricating solution. Right now, I generally use a three- or even four-step process for my other guns, consisting of removing fouling and deposits with something like Hoppe's No. 9, then spraying the action and frame with Gun Scrubber (essentially just a good chlorinated solvent), then applying either Hoppe's oil or Remington spray-on oil to proper places, and finally applying a light coat of WD-40 to the outside for rust prevention and to keep them looking shiny. This is a rather tedious process, which I don't mind doing for my other long guns and handguns, but recognize that it may not be efficient for my AR-15. Are there any suggestions on cleaning? Should I use a CLP-type cleaner, and, if so, what are some brand names? Also, will I need any special tools for cleaning?

Thanks.

BTW, I went out and bought the Marine Corps manual on the AR-15 for $13 and found it a little hard to follow (not very straightforward). Yesterday, I downloaded for free the Army manual off the www.AR-15.com website and found this to be much more helpful - the illustrations were very good, especially on disassembly.

breakfree is a commercial CLP
if you use other products there maybe interactions and gunkification
the military recommends it cause it works

KISS
;)

dZ

I don't know too much about cleaning the AR-15 but would recommend staying away from WD-40. Heard lots of people complaining of it gunking up on the gun.

clp is cleaner lubricant preservative
wd 40 is water displacement-40, its different
clp in the civilian form is either triflow or break free...both are fine
strip your weapon...lube it bore and all.. let it sit
the clp will breakdown any carbon deposit so it can be easily removed
try to stay away from metal brushes..a toothbrush will be fine...a plastic bore brush will be as well...run patches thru until clean...
the corps uses a three day cleaning after ranges
the first day is very cursory...lube and let sit
the second a bit more in depth
the third will be inspected prior to the weapon being accepted by the armory
two days is fine in the real world
rock on- johnny

i'm sorry, as i dont know how to type i seldom if ever use caps...but...
the correct spelling is the "Corps" my apologies to fellow former Marines.

rock_jock - mongrel66 already gave you the basics.

On my AR's I stick with CLP and Tetra grease. CLP alone should work just fine. Handy AR cleaning implements are pipe cleaners and Q-tips. I highly recommend that, at a minimum, you procure a chamber cleaning brush. It's the best tool for cleaning the chamber and locking lugs.

Keep the locking lugs clean, and the gas rings on the bolt lightly lubricated. Those items are the minimum.

Cliff

Back