AR-15 , Carbine or Standard

Mike Baugh

I am going to pick up an AR-15 for defensive purposes , I have it down to 2 models , the HBAR II 16" barrel or the HBAR 20" barrel . Has anyone had expeience with these models ? I have a .308 for long range so this weapon will be for 250 yards and under . Which would be your pick and is there a big accuracy difference between the 2 . Thanks , Mike...

Do they still make 20" barrels for ARs??

Just kidding, personally, I think the 16" is the way to go, anything else is just a small ego boost to a cartridge that will be encouraged to go above and beyond the call of duty.
I have used 16" barrels almost exclusively in the civilian world and have not had any compplaints at the ranges you are talking about, and only rarely shot beyond 200 yards. There are much better calibres for shooting at those distances. If you are talking about a versatile one weapon only type gun, the 16" is still the way to go... IMHO

16 inches is the way to go... Your not really giving up anything ballisticly and the length your saving is a big difference when your driving it around the home castle or pulling it out of your vehicle.
The 20 incher is not giving you any advantages except in terms of a tad bit more velocity... Accuracy should be the same as its proven (at least in the gun world) when it comes to barrel length - size doesn't matter, it's how you use it.
wink.gif
Go with the 16, it's easier to live with.

The only real question is to go TOPLESS or not. That could depend on wether or not you have optic sto go on it - or are going to get optics for it.

Have fun with it... Putting ARs together is 1/2 the fun.
Kinda like a big ugly LEGO set.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Kodiac (edited 10-28-98).]

Mike,
I'll agree with Kodiac that 16" is the way to go for defensive use. The Army is switching to the M4 Carbine (14.5 inch barrel) in most Infantry units. If you anticipate using it to defend your home, you'll appreciate how handy the shorter barrel is compared to the 20".

Many police departments are switching to ARs or M16s for entry use. It seems there is actually less of an over penetration problem with 5.56 (not M855 or SS109) then there is with 9mm.
Jeff

I concur with Kodiakand Jeff with regards to the shorter 16" barrel. 16" is more wieldy, handier, lighter and for the distance you'll be shooting at, the loss of velocity is inconsequential.

Novel analogy of an ugly lego set Kodiak.

Back