AR-15 Barrels Query

Cheapo

This relates to accuracy, and I'd like to hear about actual performance being experienced.

In general, I've heard that chrome-lined barrels are supposed to usually be less accurate than unlined match-grade barrels.

But one of the big AR makers had lots of text on their web page about how their chrome lined barrels really do peform as well and match barrels, and should be preferred because they last so much longer.

So, what's the actual 5-round group MOA TFL shooters are getting from their AR-15 barrels? Please report the twist rate and bullets used, as my limited experiments with a Colt HBAR 1:7 show 2.5 moa with 55-gr FMJBTs, and 1.25 MOA with Sierra 69-gr HPBT match bullets. Hornady/IMI 63-gr FMJBTs only do 2 MOA. All iron sights, but I get 1 MOA at 200 yards with my M1A, and 2 MOA all day long with a .223 AK variant also iron sighted.

So, what are we getting? Consider this an informal survey. Reports from borrowed guns welcome!

I'm getting 3/4 MOA with my circ. 1988 Colt 1/7 HBAR. This is one of the early ones built with barrels left over from the LMGs Colt couldn't sell to an Army.

Shooting Sierra 69 gr boattail hollowpoints, loaded by a local manufacturer. This is prone supported(sandbags) with a 4x32 ACOG mounted on the carry handle.

This load only shoots 1 3/4 MOA out of my Bushmaster V match. Both barrels are chrome lined, but the Colt is more accurate with this particular load.
Jeff

Back