AR-15 assembly from scratch

Spirex288

A neighbor just bought a Colt Match Target HBAR AR-15 w/ scope, laser, bipod- all for under $1100. That pretty much inspired me to attempt to assemble one from scratch.
Can someone tell me exactly what I need in order to make one? This will be all post-ban. Also, what is this I hear about some deadline on the other AR-15 related posts?
I'm looking for a fun and challenging project.
Thanks!!

Build the lower and buy the uper complete. That is the way most kits come anyways. Instructions for building the lower are on AR15.com. It's not hard and is very rewarding. I've done three this way it took me about an hour and a quarter to do my first one.
A good place to order a kit from is JT surplus. Although they are behind now like everyone else. They are very nice to deal with and my upper from them shoots great.
Oh almost forgot stay away from ASA. Their lowers are good but everything else is crap and their customer service is worse! They hang up on customers!
Good luck
SCratch

The Deadline is for California residents. If the gun is not in the Golden State by Dec. 31, 1999, it's not suppose to come here at all.

Building your own is lotsa fun and takes only one evening once you have all the parts. The lower takes a little over 1 hour and the upper about the same amount of time.

You won't need too many specialized tools to assemble your own AR. The lower requires some roll pin punches, 4 oz ball peen or 6 oz brass hammer, some screwdrivers and a torque wrench. The upper requires more tools or fixtures. The barrel must be torqued onto the upper receiver and you'll need a special armorer's wrench for it. You also need snap ring pliers for the snap ring which goes onto the barrel. You won't need to buy either an upper receiver vise block set or a barrel vise jaw set. Find the diameter of the barrel, drill a piece of wood to match and then cut that wood on a tablesaw. Voila. Barrel blocks as described by Walther J. Howe in his gunsmithing book.

For manuals, get the USMC Manual on the AR. It goes for $5 at gunshows. You really don't need it since you can get the info on line at ar15.com. In fact, almost all information you seek can be found there (check our links). http://www.ar15.com is an excellant board for you to check into.

Have fun.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back