AR 15 Assembly Blues...

bamacrazy

Inactive
I bought a Stag arms lower, DPMS lower kit and an A2 solid stock several years ago. finally got around to assembling the parts. Everything went well until I tried to tighten the Buttstock screw. It was the wrong thread pattern. I was told that I needed an A4 buttstock screw. the threads matched, but when the screw is tightened all the way down there is play between the buttstock and lower receiver. Stock slides forward and back about 1/16 to 1/32". What am I missing? How do I correct this? Any help would be appreciated.

Shorten the screw by carefully cutting it, or shim out the difference with some washers. As long as you get good thread engagement of 5 or more threads, you should be fine, more is better.

Mike

As mentioned, you need a spacer for the A2 stock.

If you have the space and it is installed, the next question is:
What type of buffer tube was included in that DPMS lower parts kit (LPK)?

"Everything went well until I tried to tighten the Buttstock screw. It was the wrong thread pattern. I was told that I needed an A4 buttstock screw. "

I can't remember ever encountering THAT problem.

"Can anyone point me to a diagram of how or where the spacer attaches?"

OK, lets go back to the buffer tube. The one on your lower is just a plain round tube with a flange at the receiver end that traps the takedown pin detent spring, right? If so, it has a reduced diameter at the rear and a threaded hole in the closed end. The spacer slips over that reduced diameter and is held between the buffer tube and buttstock when the screw is tight.
Hold the lower with the buffer tube pointing up and set the spacer in place, then slide the butstock down over spacer and buffer tube, install and snug up the screw and that's it.

Back