AR-10(T)Carbine or Steyr Scout ??

Milehi

I've been looking to purchase a Steyr Scout, but also decided to give the Armalite AR10(T) topped with an Aimpoint Comp M a look also.
The Armalite weights only 3/4lbs more(minus Aimpoint)than the Scout, its auto-loading and approx the same lenght and in a .308.
To me, this seems to be what the Col. ordered, a light, quick target acquisition,quick re-loading, adequate powered,rifle.
The Armalite set-up compared to the Scout would also cost approx. $250 less.
I'm starting to lean toward the AR10(T)topped with an Aimpoint Comp.

The Armalite AR-10T is the one. The Scout is a good all around utility weapon, but I'd take the AR-10T hands down against any light bolt action gun in the field. Unless you are going to step up to a Robar or Accuracy Intl. sniper rifle combined with a $1000+ scope...stick with the semi-auto Armalite, you won't be disappointed.

It depends... It's a startling amount of money, either one you choose.

The Steyr Scout is a special weapon. A general purpose rifle. For someone who really wants one that can do it all. I handled one and it was suweet! The long eye relief leupold made so much sense once I had it in my hands. Also, the bipod, extra magazine and other features are extremely well thought out. I trusted the Col. on the 45 Auto and he proved himself to my satisfaction. Based on that, I'd trust him on this one.

------------------
We don't have a chaplain here, but I don't view that as any major problem... You can rest assured that you will not go in that bag until I've said a few appropriate words over you
R. Lee Ermy as Sgt Major Haffner, from The Siege of Firebase Gloria

Milehi,

How much patience do you have? You will need that more than the money if you are going the Armalite route.

Can you put your hands on the AR-10(T), like it's just sitting at your local gun shop, right now?

If you are going to go with an order to Armalite, better be prepared for a long wait.

I ordered one of their M15A4(T) carbines in .223 in February of this year. They called in September and said I was at the "top of the list" and it would be shipping "next week". Then I get a letter from the owner stating the he is giving priority to the Kalifornia dealers. Now it looks like February or March of next year, that is if I'm lucky (and they don't read this post!)

I also placed an order with the Steyr distributor for the Jeff Cooper package and a tactical rifle built on the same Scout stock. The JC Scout could be shipped right now. The tactical will arrive next week. The Scout has an adapter for 10 round magazines and another 10 rounder fits in the buttstock.

Personally, I'd go with the Scout, but hey, that's just my opinion. Armalite might have a great product, but with their major recall of bolts last month, it just makes me wonder what's going on in their quality control department. Turnaround on the replacement bolts is at two weeks, from what I read on AR15.com.

When I want to put a rifle in one of my customer's hands, I just can't trust Armalite anymore.

DblTap

What about getting yourself out to some local gun shows. Skip the dealer route. I have seen the Armalite AR-10T on both private tables and dealer tables as recent as 2 weeks ago. Waiting for a gun seems so unAmerican. Go with cash in your pocket and be ready to lay it down.

Last spring I mistakenly passed on one of these babies from a private seller. The asking price was $1,350. I dickered with the guy and my hard head said $1,200, he wouldn't budge and I wouldn't budge. He sold it 15 minutes later for $1,350. It was brand new with maybe 20 rounds fired. I am still kicking myself.

Back