AR 10 Hunting Loads

USAF Ret

I am going to be doing break-in on my Ruger SFAR with Hornady 150 grain SSTs. I will do a little testing in there for groups to see if anything magic happens for a deer cartridge, but my go to round right now is a 165 grain Accubond.

Anyone care to share hunting loads you use in an AR-10 chambered in 308? AR brand, barrel length, bullet, brass, primer, powder, COAL, velocity, groups? If you have SD and ES and pics, share that too.

Just interested and a starting point to play around.

Thanks.

For Deer, I've been happy with Federal Fusion for factory loads. But I mostly load my own, and I do like Accubonds and Partitions in the .308.

I use TAC, 45 grains (start lower!) with 165s (COAL of 2.795) is just under 2600 fps with a SD of 14 from my 16" DD. 46 grains with 140g Nosler Custom Comp (2.695 COAL) for matches is 2800 fps with a SD of 16. Not tuned, just a velocity spec to meet. I've not worked up loads for my Stag yet.

LC once fired brass and WLP primers.

I don't vary bullet weight. I choose between the 165/168 gr Noslers. Same sight setting for me.

For a hunting bullet thats generally a Ballistic Tip or Accubond. The BT will likely offer more expansion, the AB will likely mess up less meat depending on what you hit. I like the BT.

Varget is my go-to with this load. If you can't find Varget, RE-15, H-4895 and 4064 all go bang.

I prefer Varget.

I have a BAR MK3 DBM because the AR10 is too heavy, for me. I use a 165 Grand Slam over 42gr of H4895 for 2500. It shoots 3/4" and 1/2" in two bolt guns. A devastating bullet that exits from any angle.

Back