AR-10 barrel/ brake ?

jjciii

Inactive
Hello,
I have what I believe to be an older Armalite AR-10. I say that because the muzzle brake has 4 set screws on it (I took them off), which makes me believe the brake is not pinned? And having 4 set screws to remove anything from a barrel end now days, makes me say - it is pre-ban. But really don't know.
In any event, I am not sure how to proceed because it does not just fall off. I have read about pinned brakes here and I would need to 1) find the pin 2) grind down to flat and then unscrew the brake - if it is pinned. But again, is mine pinned and has 4 set screws?

The whole purpose of this is to put on a threaded different break with external threads. At this point, I am not sure if I have threads.

I want to know how to proceed before I just start clamping down and twisting the brake (clockwise) to try to remove it.

AND-
if I don't have threads, then I would be looking at buying an approx. same length barrel, but lighter. Dame this thing is heavy!

I have an older "post-ban" AR that has this combination.
My guess is there's a cut just behind the muzzle that the set screws tighten into. After removing the set screws, a few light taps with a non-marring hammer should pop the brake off.

thanks for the info. I will try the malette.
here is the photo
-well that did not work. photo to large and I don't see how to get it smaller. I will have to research this.

here is the photo
you can see two of the 4 set screw holes

Attachments

• IMG_20190111_122946716.jpg
    IMG_20190111_122946716.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 14
Back