Applying for pistol permit in my state of residence, question I'm not sure about????

MyGunsJammed

I'm applying for a residence/target pistol permit. I have downloaded an application from the local police dept. and have started filling it out by hand just as a draft. I will type everything later and submit it in person.

There is a question on the application I'm not sure how to answer, however I want to answer it accurately and truthfully, since the truth will come out anyway when they do my background check.

the question is:

Have the police ever responded to an incident of domestic violence to which you were involved? Yes or No, if you answer yes write out an explanation in detail on an 8.5 X 11 paper and have it notarized

Here is the scenario, no more than 2 years ago, my dad was pissed off at me for taking too long of a shower, so he barges into my room as I was getting dressed and tries to beat me up. In self defense, I took him down and dragged him out of my room, while naked and wearing nothing but my bath robe. Anyhow, there was a lot of yelling going on and all, so i asked my mom to call the cops since my dad wouldnt back down.

When the cops came from my local precinct, things were calm by then and they took a statement from me that "we were yelling at each other out of control and that, there was some grappeling but nothing more"

Then one question that the cops asked me that stuck out in my mind was are there guns in the house, which I responded no.

But anyhow here is the question, will this incident still be on record even though there was no arrest involved? Will this one incident cause me to be denied from getting my license even though I answer "yes" and give a short statement like, "we got into a verbal argument, cops were summonsed to the house to calm things down, and that everything was resolved quickly and peacefully"

Sorry for the drama, I hope someone can give me some advice.

Worse comes to worse, I'll just go down to my neighborhood police station to ask them my question.

Not my area of expertise, but...

If you want to be completely honest, first go to your local police (the ones who responded to your home), and find out if there was a report filed. There probably was, explaining what the officers found and did. You may be able to get a copy opf the report for a small fee. Even if you can't get a copy, just knowing there is a report allows you to respond better to the question on your application.

You might consider answering YES, and stating something like " police called to respond to argument with family member. Situation resolved peacefully prior to police arrival. Officers took statements, then left. No arrests were made." And then if you know the official report, you may say "reference report #xxxxx-xx" Hometown PD" or something like that.

Being up front about everything may damage your chances for approval, but deliberately concealing something (even something you consider trivial) WILL damage your chances for approval. It may even land you in legal trouble for "lying on your application".

If you are of age, and have a clean record (no arrests, no convictions) you should be approved. However, I once lived in New York State, and even though it was a long time ago, final approval of a pistol permit was at a Judge's discression. Totally. If the Judge didn't wish to approve you for any, or no reason, they could. Not sure what the system is today, but I don't see it getting any better for applicants. Good Luck.

If it was me and the facts your facts: I would state "yes" to the question and on the explanation give a summary explanation of what you gave here. You were the victim of a domestic violence incident, and had a family member call for help since you could not stop the attack.

If they want more details let them ask. If they have your statement of the time on record (I doubt it) and ask why the statement implies a shared responsibility between you and your father (it seems to), say that was the only way you knew at the time to say it. You were afraid anything else would provoke another attack in the near future. This is often how young victims of violence behave, watering down a bit their statements to police.

I think withholding info in such an application is not a good idea. They are looking for evidence of a PERPETRATOR of violence, not a young victim. So, I don't think it will stop your permit.

Also: this can plant in their minds an idea you want a gun to get back at your father. So, after you explain the incident, come up with a good reason or reasons to want a permit, that are far afield from anything to do with your family. Treat that whole thing like a past issue.

(By the way, regarding post about NY: in NY the last stage of application process is still a Judicial Interview, either a Judge from State Supreme Court or his clerk - permit clerk. I know cases though where Judges gave the permit even though there was a problem with background records. So, Judges discretion can act in applicant's favor.)

Last edited:
Thanks guys for taking the time out to answer my question. It looks like I will have to take my time filling out the pistol application and make sure I have everything answered correctly and accurately. I will then go down the police station in my neighborhood to inquire about my record if indeed there still is one on file after all.

As for my rifle permit, its near completion and I will submit it soon....

Be honest. Go get the reports from the police (if they exist). A buddy of mine was arrested once and he was able to get a NYS pistol permit. The judge just told him not to do anything foolish. He has had the permit now for quite a few years with no issues.

Jets2007 Be honest. Go get the reports from the police (if they exist). A buddy of mine was arrested once and he was able to get a NYS pistol permit. The judge just told him not to do anything foolish. He has had the permit now for quite a few years with no issues.

Thanks for your input... I'll check with the police station to see if they have any records on me of my past complaints....

Anyhow, I've never been arrested before or been in any big trouble with the law, and my driving record has been clean for the past 7-10 years, so I hope I will get approved for my residence/target permit w/o too much hassle....

I'll keep you guys up to date....

Again, it may be different now, but...

Back in the '70s when I got my permit (AT AGE 18), the reason you put on your application was important, and a lot depended on the Judge your application went before. In those days, the judge in Saratoga County would approve only for "hunting and target" purposes only. If you listed Self protection, it would be denied. The judge in Albany county would not approve a permit for anything other than "self protection", and not a lot of those.

Do some (unofficial) research, and if you can, find out what is acceptable to the magistrate who will sign off on your application. It may save you some trouble in the long run.

On the other hand, things may be much different today, and if they are, I wish you luck, you're gonna need it.

Back