Appleseed? First Shots at the Quick ‘n Dirty AQT

rjinga

Or, to be more specific, I took my first shots at a Fred’s Quick ‘n Dirty ‘Ghost’ AQT. I got this target, and a few more, from a friend who said that they’re used in the Appleseed Shooting program.

I didn’t follow the prescribed number of rounds, time limit, or shooting positions this time; I just fired one shot at each target, to see how close I could get the first time out. I was shooting ZQI ammunition out of a CAI C308, using just the iron sights.

At 25 meters the top target is supposed to represent a full-size target at 100 yards. The second row is supposed to be full-size at 200 yards. Third row equals 300 yards. Bottom row equals 400 yards.

I shot the 100 yard target, and the 200 yard target on the left, off-hand (using a sling) while standing. I shot at the other 200 yard target, and the first 300 yard target on the left off-hand while kneeling. I shot (shot at) the rest of the targets while sitting.

Attachments

• 2016-04-23, appleseed.jpg
    2016-04-23, appleseed.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 82
1, good for you for giving it a try, it's harder than it seems especially with iron sights.
2, it looks like you would benefit from actually attending Appleseed.
3, get a 22 rimfire for the training as 308 Win is dang expensive for the 25 meter Appleseed course, save the 308 for the full distance course.

Jimro

Doesn't it bother people that Appleseed is using military targets that mimic the human form? Lots of kids take Appleseed training, so I hope they have other kinds of targets for them.

Picher,

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. We have zombie shoots, and "tombstone targets" and all sorts of practical shooting events that children can and do attend without ever turning into criminals.

Might as well complain that martial arts schools sometimes use human shaped targets for eye and throat strike training. it's not something worth worrying about.

Jimro

I remember reading a story about troops training during WW1 that shot bullseye targets and then when they were in combat had a hard time shooting enemy soldiers. So then the training changed to human silhouettes and they stopped having trouble shooting the enemy. Thats what they were used to shooting at.

And in a world full of violent video games where you might kill a couple of hundred "Enemies" in an hour I doubt that a sorta human shaped target will hurt the kiddies.

I like the apple seed concept even though I have never seen one. Maybe it will help rebuild the image of a "Nation Of Riflemen" and will serve as a warning like it did in WW2 when the japs thought there was a rifle behind every blade of grass and an invasion would be stopped by well armed american citizens.

Appleseed is the best two days of rifle training that the average person can get short of Marine Corps basic rifle training. For under $150.00, including ammo, she or he can learn how to safely & properly handle a rifle. The basics are taught effectively and clearly. If the student listens, learns and applies the instruction, they will benefit greatly.
Appleseed is NOT combat or competition training, just good basic rifle training.

The National Guard use to have a match called the CNGB Match (Chief of the National Guard Bureau Match.

The combat phase represented shooting the M16 Combat Match 100, 200, 300. and 400 yards), reduced, using the 22 Sub Cal device in the M16A1s.

My Unit, a native unit from St Lawrence Island won the state, (I was top individual). The winning Unit was flown to Nashville TN to compete with the winning teams from other states. Don't remember where we placed there, we didn't win thought.

Anyway this predated Apple Seed and again we had to shoot M16s w/sub cal devices. It was challenging to say the least. I always scored better on the full combat course. Since I was a 1LT in the picture, it had to be the late 70s-early 80s.

CNGB%20Match.bmp.jpg

Here's the target from yesterday. Three shots at each one.

Attachments

• 2016-04-26, AQT with marks.jpg
    2016-04-26, AQT with marks.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 31
Back