Apologies

If I came across condescendingly in a recently closed thread, I apologize. I meant to use sarcasm to make a point, but never wished to ridicule anyone for having a limited budget or favoring defense/tactical shotguns. Likewise, it is no more than a reverse form of prejudice to hold my ownership of a Citori and my love of clay shooting sports against me. Especially, as in addition to the $3,000 Citori I also prize my $300 870 for doing duty as a home defense gun, while serving as a shooter when I take a guest to the trap range. Yes, while it isn't decked out in full tacticool fashion, at home it sports the law enforcement fore end, 18.5" barrel, 2+ magazine extension, and even a weapons light.

What bothers me is when someone blows their budget on tactical goodies at the expense of starting with a reliable base weapon. If you are fortunate to find a used pump for $100 more power to you, but buying an unreliable cheap semi to do defense/tactical duty is a huge mistake, IMO. It doesn't have to be fancy or shiny, just reliable if someone's live may depend on it. If all you are going to miss may be some clay or real birds, so what. Go ahead and spend your money on a cool looking jamomatic. IOW, looking tacticool is fine. Just don't put your life or your loved one's lives at risk so you can afford trinkets. You need not agree with me but that is all I meant.

Anyway, I am sorry if anyone was offended.

for some the truth is a bitter pill, you can look cool and even be cool,but in the middle of the night when things go bump cool don,t cut it. eastbank.

I think we all knew you were using "sarcasm"....

No offense should have been taken -- and no need for an apology in my view.

Anyway, I touched the nerves of at least one member and wanted to clarify that I didn't mean to be condescending, but was only trying to use sarcasm to drive home my belief that you should first put the money into reliability and training before doing pouring limited resources into tactical options.

Its true, that sarcasm doesn't work well on the written page. That's why I try not use it. If someone wants to hang tactical cool crap all over his bargain basement shotgun, (before he really knows how to use it) he's an idiot!

Sometimes, even if the shotgun is a known value (870, mossy 500) it may have problems. That's why I always say take it out to the range and shoot some Skeet, and Trap. While shooting Trap you will learn the sight pictures of small leads. Skeet will give sight pictures with large leads, and how to rack a second shot. After about 500 rounds (20 boxes) of shooting he will know if the gun is worth keeping, and he might know how to operate it. Then (An only then) he can call his shotgun, a "HD" shotgun.

I don't care if an idiot walks into the $hit, and gets himself messed-up or wasted, but I do feel sorry for the family that he leaves behind.

Last edited:
Back