Anyone watching "Shooter" on USA?

g.willikers

Has anyone been watching the tv series "Shooter" based on Stephen Hunter's books?
Have you noticed the complete lack of recoil with the rifles?
Mr. Hunter must be having conniptions since his books portray the gun side of things well.
Not surprising as he is a gun guy and match competitor himself.
Just needed something to complain about today.

no but...........

I'll have to look for it. Hunters books, the whole Bob Lee series, are first rate.

The only one I was mildly disappointed in was the book dealing with the LA prison.

While I'm at it, they got the wrong actor to play Bob Lee in Point of Impact.

I refuse. Bob Lee is to be portrayed by Tommy Lee Jones and no one else.

Seriously though, bamaranger, you don't like "Pale Horse Coming"? It has the .38-44 in it.

What's funny is that's my favorite book in the series.

I like it, in spite of Bob Lee being miscast. He should be as tough and rawboned as a piece of beef jerky. They've tried and to some degree succeeded to macho up Ryan Phillipe, but he's still a pretty boy at heart. And to move Bob Lee's home from Arkansas to Seattle.....

His wife sure is gorgeous.

I like it, in spite of Bob Lee being miscast. He should be as tough and rawboned as a piece of beef jerky. They've tried and to some degree succeeded to macho up Ryan Phillipe, but he's still a pretty boy at heart. And to move Bob Lee's home from Arkansas to Seattle.....

His wife sure is gorgeous.

Yeah. The pretty boy doesn't fit the role well enough for me. The real Bob Lee would be a more grizzled hard nose guy. Maybe a big scar down his mug and a nose that looks to have been broken a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shucks, I didn't even know there was a series -- just knew I didn't want to see the movie w/ Wahlberg when it came out. It sounds like they've pretty much mucked up Hunter's books, though.

As to the "recoilless rifles," though, I was watching "The Crown" last week (OK, yeah, I know, but I'm getting over surgery...), and noticed that the Royals all had special non-recoiling shotguns. :rolleyes:

Cool, I have the DVD. Great movie. :)

I don't care if the movies were not true to the books as I enjoy the movies on their own merits.

Sometimes I liked the movies better than the books. :p

g.willikers said:
Have you noticed the complete lack of recoil with the rifles?
Evan Thomas said:
As to the "recoilless rifles," though, I was watching "The Crown" last week (OK, yeah, I know, but I'm getting over surgery...), and noticed that the Royals all had special non-recoiling shotguns.
Many recent TV and film productions use CGI to simulate muzzle flashes, allowing producers to eliminate the risks and costs inherent in using real firearms loaded with blanks. This practice also has some other upsides, like easier synchronization of shots to the squib charges being used to simulate hits, less disruptive filming in populated areas, and no conspicuous flinching by actors inexperienced with shooting (re: Gert Fröbe in "Goldfinger").

The major downside is that many actors simply aren't very good at feigning the effects of recoil, and I suspect that many directors are so accustomed to highly stylized film violence that they're not concerned about this. :rolleyes:

On the more recent episodes of the tv series, they now show the loading of the rifle, but then the camera moves away from the shooter to the target, as the shot is taken.
Maybe the effects guy is listening.

yeah, the ease with which these kids are throwing around 30-06 and 338 Lapua does make me smile, and the bit about the "ceramic" bullet that shoots half way through a car frame, then are re-shot through a concrete water retainer "without a scratch" makes me shake my head, but... what else am I going to watch until the new 24 starts?

^^^^ You could watch some of the Parolini- or Carnimeo-directed Sartana spaghetti westerns, and marvel at the Sartana character mowing down multiple baddies at blinding speed with single shots from a .22 Short pepperbox / revolver, usually while hip-shooting, sometimes at 30+ yards, even firing through a loaf of bread in one scene. ;):D

Ah, stylized film violence. :cool:

"I am your pallbearer." - Sartana

Last edited:
carguychris said:
The major downside is that many actors simply aren't very good at feigning the effects of recoil, and I suspect that many directors are so accustomed to highly stylized film violence that they're not concerned about this.
Or the directors may be so uninformed about shooting that they know nothing about this thing called "recoil." :rolleyes:

Aha, maybe someone on the show has been on the ball.
Last night's episode showed realistic looking recoil.
Might have actually been a live shot.
Complaint withdrawn.

Evan Thomas said:
Or the directors may be so uninformed about shooting that they know nothing about this thing called "recoil."
True dat. :rolleyes:

I'm fairly certain that Ryan Phillippe (who plays Bob Lee Swagger in the show) would have known, considering that he previously starred in The Way of the Gun, one of THE best Hollywood movies in terms of realistic gunplay. AFAIK all of the stars of that movie did extensive live-fire training as preparation.

(I can't watch the show because I don't have cable and I don't think it's on Hulu.)

They lost me a bit with the "only four rifles in the world strong enough to fire the round" thing. Not sure what round it was supposed to be but did not look like anything more than .338 and the rifle did not look special either. If it was because of the special bullet, then why did his rifle not blow up when he shot the water tank?

Now had it been a custom made .700 nitro express or shoulder fired .20 mm AP round it might have been more believable on the "only four rifles in the world" thing.

Anyone watching "Shooter" on USA?

I watch TV and Movies for the entertainment value.
I KNOW it is "virtual reality" so I dont spend a lot of time analyzing the shows for accuracy and or factual basis of the events.

Thats the beauty of TV and MOVIES its all supposed to be make believe.

Unless it is a documentary that is based on and representing fact and or history it really matters not if the BS is well BS.

Hopefully we as adults are intelligent enough to separate the fact from the fiction.

Nope havent watched the series as the Movie was hard enough to get through cant imagine a weekly series.

And 24 again really Kiefer moved on from saving the world to be the only survivor and become President. Guess saving the world every week got to be too boring after a few seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"only four rifles in the world strong enough to fire the round"
The special / magical weapon has long been an essential in many old tales and legends.
From Arthur's Excaliber to the "One in a thousand" rifle everyone fought to possess in the James Stewart western.
It adds a little flavor to the story.

Back