Anyone use the Bowen lanyard loops?

I took mine off.
Never liked the idea of a cord hanging around my neck that could snag on things.
Denis

Not the Bowen, but Hogue Monogrips had a screw that would make a lanyard loop. I think you have to buy it as a replacement screw direct from Hogue. I have one on my Security Six.

Elmer Keith did a write-up on a lanyard ring one time many, many years ago, IIRC. Said it offered an additional means of support for off-hand shooting...you adjusted the loop to allow the lanyard to tighten as you extended the gun to firing position, two-handed grip. In use, you pushed forward against the loop's tension as I recall. Never tried it, and like Dennis, I'm not crazy about a loop of anything around my neck while woods loafing...same on horseback...pretty much any conveyance.

Stebbins & Bert Shay, writing in their 1960's tome, Pistols, a Modern Encyclopedia, write about lanyard use for those in remote regions where the loss of a sidearm could be a fatal mistake. It's a good book, and not only for this bit of trivia. It's well worth purchase if you ever find one. (Just checked: less than $6.00 on Amazon in paperback!)

Rod

rod, I have used my lanyard like a rifle sling and it adds an incredible amount of support, whether in standing off hand or in kneeliing or sitting positions. For those long accurate shots it would be great.

While I understand the concern about having a cord near the neck, it's looped under the strong side arm, and with a slide you can adjust it so it can't come up around the neck and have the hazard of choking.

Of course every decision is somewhat a compromise, so the possibility of getting caught in brush must be weighed against the loss of the firearm. But I like the option of the lanyard for woods carry.

Thanks for the recommendations on the book, I will look for it!

While I understand the concern about having a cord near the neck, it's looped under the strong side arm, and with a slide you can adjust it so it can't come up around the neck and have the hazard of choking.
Gothcha High Valley...interesting point. I'll have to rig up something to give the same effect...ie. a support of sorts. Rod

"You could attach it to your belt......"

I really really wondered why some of you were making comments about attaching the lanyard to your neck.

I recall Jeff Cooper endorsing them, said it's incredibly difficult to take a gun away from someone it's attached to.

It's a great strangle cord, inadvertently by you snagging it or intentionally by someone else grabbing it.
Denis

Lanyards on a handgun are very useful under some conditions. I won't bore you by giving examples.

If you have a fear of being choked by them don't wear them around your neck. Instead attach them to some other piece of your gear or clothing.

tipoc

OK, this whole "lanyard around your neck" is some serious old-school line of thinking. Do they even make them anymore? Lanyards I've seen lately tend to be the telephone chord style that attaches to the belt. No idea how you would manage to strangle yourself with one.

I can see me getting a lanyard tangled up in the seatbelt of my ATV on a quick exit, or in trying to get the gun out of the holster in a hurry.
I can see it getting caught in branches.
I can see it getting caught in numerous situations, and grabbed in others.
I won't give one a chance to do any of that. :)

The lanyard only has value in limited circumstances.
Those might include canoeing, which I don't do, mountain climbing, which I don't do, and sleeping in a tent, which I no longer do.

Canoeing to resist going over the side (just buy a good holster); cliff scaling to avoid a straight drop (buy a good holster), or instantly being able to locate your handgun if a bear or cat starts ripping through the tent wall at 2AM (actually one of the few valid uses for a lanyard).

Certainly no value in one around town.

You make your own choices.
I have no use for a lanyard.
Denis

Kordoniphobia (alternate, Schoiniphobia) is the clinical term for a fear of short cords or lanyards.

Denis' 3 posts in this thread raise the possibility of a clinical phobia. Lanyards on guns, flashlights, knives, etc. may inspire deep fear in some.

Alternately this could be an example of Megetemstuckuponstuffphobia or the fear of getting caught or trapped on branches, fences, wire clothes hangers, etc.

Possibly Kosmemophobia, the fear of things around your neck like a necklace or tie.

Or Kosmemyjobophobia the fear of being fired from your job for refusing to wear a tie, lanyard etc.

Oh well, at any rate professional help may be required.

tipoc

Or possibly it may just be that I dislike cords dangling off my body because I HAVE gotten them caught on things in the past.

There's no need to take cheap shots on this.
I explained my personal preference & I said make your own choice.
I have not been sarcastic or derogatory towards anybody who does like the things.
Denis

Back