Anyone Use a Scope on a 1911?

EQUALIZER

Of course the red dot optics are common for ipsc, but I was wondering if anyone puts a low power crosshair scope on their 1911 for hunting, ie. whitetail. Think it would be good for handgun hunting out to MAYBE 70 yds.
If so, what kind of mounts, frame modification and scope would be good?

BTW, this seems like it would be one of the best ways in which to deturmine the accuracy potential of the firearm itself. Maybe even rival the ransom rest is my guess....if anyone wants .02c

robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

There are three basic approaches to mounting optics on a 1911-style pistol:

1) Slide mount - This works fine with light loads or a special sight (such as the Tasco Optima 2000) but not with a 2x scope and heavy loads.

2) Frame mount - This requires a tight slide to frame fit (to minimize play between the scope and the barrel) and drilling and tapping of the frame.

3) Grip mount - A variation of the frame mount that attaches to the grip screw bushings instead of the dustcover.

So, it can be done, but it's not a simple modification to a stock pistol.

Thanks for the info Matt.
The purpose would be for hot loads 45 Super or 460 Rowland (depending on what I finally decide on) for hunting; and for target, to take advantage of the pistol's full potential for accuracy. I definitely want to go the way of frame or grip mounted.

I was checking out MidWay and the grip mount version seems pretty straight forward. I'm guessing that it would work well for hunting, but not rapid fire. I'm guessing that it would vibrate on repeat shots.?.....
I'd like the stability of frame mount, except for the screw holes, since it would be a presentation grade carry piece.

Has anyone ever drilled and tapped a mount? I'm wondering if the enclosed instruction sheet makes the modification straight forward for use w/a drill press and frame jig, since I have no book on open class modifications. Also, first Q's??...

-robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)
---------------------------
"Reasonable gun law?............There's No such critter!" --EQ

I would stay away from the grip mount. It seems nice and simple but you will have nothing but problems. Bullseye shooters have mostly stopped using them becasue it is hard to get them to stay put. the ones that still use them have them screwed and epoxied to the frame to keep them on the frame.
I think your only option is a frame mount that is attched to both sides of the dust cover.

NJW in AZ

NJW,

I'll take your advise and go with the extra trouble and expense of a frame mount. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

------------------
---------------------------
"Reasonable gun law?............There's No such critter!" --EQ

Back