Anyone tried Mounted ??

A couple of weeks ago I got only half way in on a conversation about shooting ballons while riding horseback at full speed. Shooting ammo loaded with walnut shells. Being a handloader, I asked what loading components they used, and the answer was they don't. At least these guys don't. They send there brass to some commerical place to be reloaded. These guys are horsemen as much as gun people. so they didn't know much about the loading aspect of they're sport. It's not connected with SASS or any regular cowboy shooting. Can any of you fill me in on this sport? :confused:

George, that is a Cowboy Action type of event. I've only seen the event on TV but it certainly looks like it would be a lot of fun.

This thread should be moved over to the Cowboy Action forum for some knowledgeable folks responses.

You are referring to Mounted Cowboy Shooting and it is not that the participants are not necessarily unfamiliar with reloading. The rules state that the participants be allowed to use only ammo that has came from the sanctioning body and is passed out at the shoot prior to taking the arean......and for good reason. This is to prevent accidents. The shoot involves riding horses more often then not in an arena where there are people in a 360 degree arc. A live round could easily prove disasteruos. Not to mention the fact that shooting ones horse in the back of the head with a live round by mistake can place one of foot permanently.;) The rounds used are loaded with a light powder charge and an equally small amount of four F black powder as the projectile, which (assuming one hits it) breaks the balloon.
The course of fire is five balloons arranged in a smaller area and then five others in a straight line as the shooter rides of the course. Think of it as a combination of barrel racing and poll bending with guns and cowboy out fits thrown in. The skill level of both the shooter and the horse is very demanding.

Nanaimo Barr

the better half and I both shoot CAS, and we've seen mounted shooting (DAMNED impressive!!), but for what they actualy use I don't know, but have been told it's wax bullets.. they apparently hold together long enough to burst the ballon but not long enough to be a threat to anyone past 10 feet. (the day we say it we had LOTS of spectators no more than 30 feet away from the ballons.)

here is the SASS Corperations Mounted shooting page

http://www.sassnet.com/pages/mountedshooting.html

A good example of what can happen when things go wrong is the Civil War re-enactment in Gettysburg a couple of years ago.

One of the re-enactors apparently picked up the wrong pistol, and ended up shooting another participant in the neck with a .44 caliber round ball during the battle phase.

BIG stink about that.

Thanks for the info guys,next time I see these cowboys at least I'll know a little about mounted shooting. I can see its not geared for couch potatoes. They also mentioned something about a rifle event? Is that on horseback also?

Back