Anyone successful putting Hogue grips on Ruger GP100?

ToddW

Hello,
I'm attempting to put a Hogue rubber monogrip on my Ruger GP100. Has anyone had trouble getting the grip alignment post out of the GP100 grip? This is the approx. 1/4" diameter post that sits horizontally in the bottom of the grip. Mine will not move for love or money. I've put Hogues on my Redhawks, Blackhawks, 1911s, etc. But this is the only grip frame that has me stumped. Obviously the problem is the Ruger and not the Hogue. I've tried tapping and rapping with my trusty non-marring casting mallet (a hammer handle), but no go. I've tried whacking from both sides on the assumption that it's wider on one end to wedge it in the grip frame firmly. I figured I'd check for experience here before I manhandled it and ruin the revolver.
Thanks for any help.
Regards,
Todd

Personally, I think that the factory grip blows the Hogue out of the water for fit and comfort, but back to the question....

The post is alluminum and is not tapered, so it should come out in either direction. It seems weird that it is so tight. It can't rust. It is possible that it was forced in there at an angle and just got wedged. Try some break free or WD40. I don't know what else to tell you.

I used a vice. I put to blocks of wood under, one on each side of the pin, on one side of the grip frame, then let the vise push the pin through as I tightened it.

[Edited by ajacobs on 02-28-2001 at 12:50 PM]

Maybe ya'lls' were just tighter than mine. I pushed it out with my thumb. And Todd, notwithstanding similarities between opinions and armpits, I reckon the Ruger factory grip is better than the Hogue monogrip (I had to shoot with one, change it right there on the range, and shoot with the other to convince myself).

Many thanks for all your replies. I'll try some lube and a clamp after that.
As far as the factory grips, I have pretty big hands and the Hogues seem to fit/feel better. I first put some Hogues on a std. Redhawk and I've been slowly going over to them on my other revolvers(replacing the Pachmayrs).

Thanks,
Todd

I put a monogrip on several years ago. It gives better control with high recoiling ammo and has a narrower profile for carrying. The stock grip is better shooting targets though IMHO.
I think my alignment post just slipped out?

I like the Hogue grips. I have them on several guns.
Good comfort and fit. I like the look of wood grips, but the control factor using Hogue grips is outstanding.
Happy Shooting All............

Thanks for all your replies.
I finally removed the grip post by drilling it out. I tried lube, clamps, a wooden block jig, nothing would get it to budge. I finally drilled a small hole through the center of it and enlarged it with succeedingly larger drill bits. The last bit was about 1/4" designed for metal and it went through the aluminum post in no time. Then I used pliers and channel locks to collapse the remainder of the post and work it out. It still didn't come out easily, what a pain!

Obviously this was a lot of work just to change grips, but once I started I got a little stubborn and didn't want to give up. So I destroyed the aluminum grip post(and fortunately nothing else on the gun), but I can get a replacement part from Ruger should I need to reinstall the factory or Pachmayr grip (a replacement post is listed at $0.50 in my manual). The Hogues do fit great on the gun and in my hand. So once again I proved myself smarter than the gun (just barely though). ;)

regards,
Todd

Back