Anyone shoot indoor NRA Bullseye?

Ken O

I am thinking of shooting this in a winter league. I would like to load WAY down from my ISPC load for the .45ACP. What is a good velocity for a 200gr LSWC, and what recoil spring should I go for in a 1911. They shoot 50 feet National Match COF.

Smoke, smoke, and more smoke

I'd go jacketed. The wax on the bullet smokes a lot; not too noticeable outdoor-but indoor it's different.

At 50 feet? I may be wrong, but the Indoor Pistol matches I shoot are .22 only. Ask a few questions.

At any rate, you'll find that a lot of BE shooters swear by the 200 gr. HG 68 LSWC on 3.5 to 3.8 of Clays. This will cycle a 1911 with a normal factory weight (16 lb.) spring, and is an accurate round.

My club shoots indoor 50 foot Bullseye, both centerfire and .22 rimfire. Most of the centerfire guys use .45's. We can only shoot lead bullets. Copperwashed are alright, but no jacketed ammo (no FMJ, no hollowpoints, no soft points). They want to keep the backstop alive as long as possible. I think most of the .45 guys shoot 185 gr. lead semiwadcutters. I don't know what springs they use.

Ken O
the recoil spring weight for a colt 45will depend on the gun and the magazines. Some combinations can go as low as 12 pounds, but 14 pounds is a reasonable starting point. Wolff springs has recoil spring calibration kits for the colt 45. The job of the recoil spring is to reliably strip the next round from the magazine and chamber it.

For ammo at 50 feet, most in my club used 185 or 200 grain lead semi-wad cutters. Popular powders are clays and bull's-eye. Velocity in this sport is not important, accuracy is all. You will do yourself a favor by experimenting on the low end of listed loads to see what gives best accuracy with minimal recoil and reliable pistol functioning.

Shooting a bull's-eye's league is good practice for many other types of shooting and you'll meet others who enjoy our sport

Thanks for the replys. My USPSA/IDPA is Clays and I use a 18½ lb mainspring for major, which is the reason for the question. Bullet casting is another hobby of mine, but might have to go to jacketed because or the lube smoke. We used to hold IDPA matches inside, and the smoke was thick, we put on the fans and all the heat would leave also. I shoot .22 indoor rife and pistol league at another indoor club, it is lots of fun, and keeps the skills up during the winter.

Shooting indoors

I shoot indoors at several ranges. Just check with the management that they have a proper ventillation system that pulls the fumes away from the shooting stations. Otherwise it can be unhealthful.

One of the indoor ranges I frequent allows any handgun rounds short of magnums. The other range allows only unjacketed rounds and some of their lanes are only for rimfire. This is due to the durability of the backstop.

Back