Anyone Shoot At NRA Range In Fairfax???

Nice.

Brightly lit
Programmable target carriers
Well ventilated
Professional Staff
50yds
rifle and handgun

Unfortunately, it's busy as heck these days. Be prepared to wait. Sometimes you get lucky and there's no wait though.

Chris

It has gotten very busy. I stopped using it on a regular basis due to waiting time and the closing for 'special events'.

Yeah, everything around Washington DC is busy. You can't go anywhere without impatient people in-front and behind you.

Is it jammed during the week between 8PM and 10PM ???

I go there weekly. Yes the traffic is bad as many people found out its the best local range around. But the folks that go there and sit in the waiting room are very friendly. One can pick up quite a bit of knowledge standing around waiting for your turn.

On weekdays, dinner time (7pm or thereabouts) is the best time to go. As after dinner and right after work people are there and it is busy.

I try to go on Saturday AM's just when they open.

Are the rumors I hear true that it is in the basement of the NRA headquaters?

I was once told by someone who never went there that it is a 200yd indoor range. I feel foolish for believing that now.

Basement...sortof. You drive to the left of the two large main buildings and the range itself is surrounded by a parking garage.

Yesterday I got there at 530 for a group shoot at 6. When I arrived there was 6 people, then by 6 it was a decent waiting list.

Blue Ridge Arsenal isn't that far away (across the street from the Expo Center) and doesn't get as much use. They also rent guns, unlike the NRA.

As noted, it's a nice, well run range. It's out behind the main bldg under the parking deck. It's even air conditioned :)

I have the luxury of being able to go during the day, as it opens at 10 AM on Mondays and Fridays, have never had to wait and I don't compete with those who have to keep regular working hours.

Blue Ridge Arsenal is also a nice range, but I haven't been there in a couple years and quit going because I was thoroughly underwhelmed with the lack of range supervision and a couple of wankers I encountered who really needed some supervision. :( I hear it's under new management

Does the Blue Ridge range have the capability to allow rifles or is it just a pistol range? How is the smell? I ask because I used to have to close my windows for miles whenever I used to drive by the Blue Ridge treatment plant.

Blue Ridge is limited to pistol calibers. They use a 45 degree armored backstop to deflect everythng up (armored ceiling also at the stop). Even some pistol calibers can chip the armore and you wil be asked to stop using the gun if this occurs.
The NRA uses oil covered snails that can take almost anything.

Brickeye,

Not true with Blue Ridge. You can use rifle rounds BUT you must use expensive Frangible rounds. (It is just around the corner from our office) and we shoot there at lunch sometimes.

At the NRA you can shoot any weapon up to a .50 cal.

The NRA range has the new water cooling backdrop. Very nice. Plus it has these massive A/C blowers that push the smell of cordite away from the shooter.

Blue Ridge does not.

I know this thread is pretty much dead, but does anyone know if the NRA range, or any other range near Fairfax, allow you to rent their guns? I'm looking to rent, preferably, a handgun (i.e. 1911/glock)?

Back