Anyone Seen "The Homesman" Movie?

ElVaquero

Night before last my wife and I watched "The Homesman" Starring Tommy Lee Jones and Hillary Swank. It came out in 2014 but somehow we missed it, and I am an avid fan of Western movies. After seeing it, I got to wondering if any of the members here also saw it and what you thought of it. I thought it was an exceptional film, but brutally honest in places.

I also noticed, and verified that TLJ's holster and belt, as well as the saddles in the movie were made by David Carrillo, leather maker in California who also made the belt and holster rigs for Brad Pitt in "The Assassination of Jesse James" film.

I appreciated the authenticity in The "Homesman" as the setting was in Nebraska during the black powder era, and featured period-correct open-top, cap and ball Walker and Dragoon style revolvers, some with octagon barrels.

If any of you haven't seen it, and love Westerns as much as I do, I recommend it, but it is NOT a film for young children.

It's not surprising that it's a good story.
It comes from the same author as "The Shootist" and "They Came to Cordura."
Both also made into excellent movies.

The "The Homesman" movie is stark and morose with no justice in the end. If you expect "Little House on the Prairie", you will be disappointed. Before you watch it you should know that it is about an Ad Hoc man and a woman transporting three women who have lost their minds, back East across the hostile prairie. It is more about survival than adventure...you are forewarned.

You are right!

Dahermit,
You are right about it being stark and morose. I wasn't expecting Little House on the Prairie because I read the reviews and watched the trailer first. I found there was justice of sorts in a few scenes, however. The main point, among several, was the harshness of life for women back then on the frontier.
El Vaquero

Pretty good movie but that Lyman Plains pistol looked entirely out of place and the 1858 two band Enfield didn't come out til four years later.

Not bad, though for Hollywood.
At least there weren't any lever action rifles and Colt Peacemakers during period movies, like plenty of otherwise decent westerns.

It was all right I guess . I found slow and a bore. Glad I got off nexflick Been up set if wasted money at theater. I guess because of authors other movies I expected more .

If you're expectin a rootin tootin shoot'em up you'll be sorely disappointed but IMO it's not too shabby.

watched it

Well I stayed up and watched it. TLJ plays a good part and does a good job with his character. As noted by others, the story is dark. It is not a shoot'em up, and guns play a minor role.

There is mention of "paper cartridges" and a .36 Navy Colt, but beyond that, not much else.

Yep, I had to go watch it last night too. Makes me wonder why in the world any sane person would deliberately settle in a place like that. I'd go crazy there too.

Saw it a few months back as a Netflix dvd. It was really good, even though it's kind of depressing. It has a very authentic feel.

I started to watch it and fell asleep a while ago. That also happened the first couple of times I tried to watch The Exorcist, and I was wide awake by the end of that movie, so maybe I should give The Homesman another try.

Back