Anyone scoped a standard Mini-14?

DougB

Has anyone mounted glass on a standard Mini-14? I'm trying to decide between a standard and a Ranch Rifle. I intend to use iron sights most of the time, but may want to mount a scope or (more likely) red-dot sight at some point in the future. I like the rear sight on the standard Mini-14, but don't know if scope mounting is practical on these. I'll probaby go with a 30mm or larger red-dot, so the 1" rings that come with the Ranch Rifle wouldn't be very useful. But maybe the bases would be. Would the vertical ejection on a standard be a problem? Ideally, I'd want a standard Mini-14 with a red-dot sight in some sort of quick-detachable mount. Thanks.

Doug

Hi Doug,

While the standard Mini14 can be scoped, be warned. One of the reasons why Ruger developed the Ranch rifle was that they grew tired of scoped Minis being sent in with complaints of the scope being broke.

Here's the problem. Because of the ejection, the spent case bounces off the scope base, sending vibrations into the scope body itself. Given the course of time, the pounding results in scope failure. This includes Leupold.

So, as a solution, Ruger developed the Ranch rifle. It features a buffer to help absorb the violence of the slide's recoil. Also, to alleviate the pounding on the scope base, a new ejector was developed allowing for sideways ejection. Hence, the open bolt face of the Ranch bolt as opposed to the normal Mini bolt.

I've a Mini which I've toyed with the idea of scoping. Heck, if the scope is a cheapie Tasco with a lifetime warranty, why not? That way my nephew can use the rifle for Running Deer. The only problem is that I'll have to sight in the rifle after I remount the "repaired" scope.

Gary

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I've put an Aimtech scope mount on my Mini-14 that replaces the hand guard/ heat shield and has a Picatinny Rail mount on the dorsal surface. I'm sighting it in tomorrow but don't think that brass will hit the scope. Any comments on this?

I'll let you know how it went when I get back.

------------------
Thank you for your time,

John Coleman

I've had scopes on the three or four Minis I've owned. I guess I shot the stainless the most, maybe a thousand rounds or so. Coyotes, jackrabbits and tin cans...Weaver K-4.

Had about the same-sized group as with the iron sights, roughly 1-1/2" to 2".

I had the big screws on the Weaver rings come loose one time, but decent tightening made that a one-time event.

FWIW, Art

B-Square makes two mmounts for a Mini. One takes a regular scope and the other mounts on the allen screws at the end of the stock. You can use a pistol scope here and with practice can shoot using both eyes open. A C More or a red dot would work well too. The only drawback to this arrangement is it is made out of aluminum and is not real sturdy. It can be bumped or bent messing up your zero, but you can still use the iron sights if needed.

OK, here is my recommendation. Get the ranch rifle and eliminate the scope/recoil concerns. Then get a Williams rear sight to replace the el cheapo factory folding sight. B square just released a scope mount for the ranch rifle that attaches to the factory dovetails and will allow you to mount any Weaver style ring (without this mount you can still attach any scope but you must use the Ruger factory rings). This mount also has a see through channel so you can use the iron sights without having to remove the scope. Now you have the best of both worlds.

Back